HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Celica radiators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Celica radiators Reply with quote

Hey all, I never thought that I'd have reason to post in the R&D forum.

As all of you would know, gemini's don't have much in reserve when it comes to cooling. Mines only been on the road 3 weeks and I didn't know until recently that didn't like hot days. Hence this post.

Many people on this forum say the RA40 celica radiators bolt straight in. This is a lie - they must be regurgitating something they were told. They are however the closest fit you are likely to find.

Here's what I did to get mine in.
Weld new tabs on the outlet side of the radiator (hold it in there to see where they need to go)
Drill holes through the radiator on the inlet side

MAKE THE RADIATOR AS LOW AS POSSIBLE OR IT WILL NOT CLEAR THE BONNET!!!

Bolt it in and hook everything up. I also added an overflow bottle - I think it was from a mazda 323 near the relay box and a thermo fan. I don't actually think its a proper thermo fan - probably an air con fan. Who cares? To save hassles I just made a braket out of aluminium angle and poked 4 1/8' threaded bolts through the fins. So now the fan is directly mounted to the radiator.

Oh, and I haven't sourced a proper thermo switch yet, so I have to watch the gauge and switch it on when I need it (so far only when idling - but its only been in 1 day)

The motor revs more quietly and I think I can notice a bit more power since removing the old fixed fan. For $110 from the wreakers all up, it is well worth it. Goodluck to anyone doing this. Cheers, Greg.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators Reply with quote

torran radiators can also be used, i had one in my old TG. all u need to do is have the inlet and outlets swaped from left to right and right to left (cheap as)
never over heated again
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators Reply with quote

A more expensive but easier option is to visit a radiator repair centre, where they can fit a 3 row core (stock is only 2 row) to the standard gem tanks and side brakcets, so it all bolts back in easily, but is theoretically about 40% cooler.

I have one on my 2 litre turbo engine, and it gets to about 94 degrees whilst racing, but never over heats, it should be more than adequate for any street gem.

Cost was about $200 from memory. I also run a 10" thermo fan on the front of radiator, using the supplied bolts and fibre wahsers, so the 4 bolts just go through the radiator core. A 12" could probably fit though. no bigger.

A thermo switch is also about $45 from autobarn, etc. I dont know how you guys not running thermostats get away with just an on/off switch, because I am sure I would forget to turn my fan on one day and over heat the engine.

Ben Wight
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators Reply with quote

The on/off switch is only a temp thing. I'm so used to watching the gauge from it getting hot I'm sure I'll remember for the first little bit (and after that I'll have a thermo switch). And from what I've seen so far, I'll only ever need the switch in stop start traffic or a long idle. Cheers, Greg.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators Reply with quote

do these fit in a TX coz the tx has a different style of fitment to the others
it slides in and it is bolted by a bolt in the bottom of the radiator
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it does. We walked around the wreakers with the radiator and tried it in several gems. It fitted in the later ones but not the early ones. Check them out at the wreakers to see if it will fit. Cheers, Greg
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

im guessing you have an early model or something?
I am the one who has done hard yards to find out what fits and what doesnt.To say its a lie is wrong... get YOUR facts right!!!!
Sikgem had a celica radiator fitted.. with twin thermos..and a thermatic switch..
I now have the same setup in my TE wagon.. and it was a STRAIGHT bolt in..maybe your car is bent???

if you live in queensland.. i would be more than happy to pop the bonnet and put your accusations to rest.

a rare visit from.....

lachy..
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

The only reason that i cant see another radiator fitting into one Gem and not another is if it is an early model TX. I was nosing around the wreckers one day and noticed a Tx there that had different mounting locations to mine. The side plates on my radiator are flat and are bolted to the radiator support with the heads of the bolts facing into the engine bay. The TX i saw had side plates that were bent 90 degrees and held in with the heads of the bolts pointed at the radiator. This would be a piss-easy problem to get around by rewelding the side mounting plates onto the radiator from the original item. Either way, it's not a big enough problem to worry about.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

what model celida dude, and are there any markings or numbers on the radiator i can tell one of these by?
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

RA40 is the designated celica code code.there is no numbers that i know of on the radiator as far as a part listing would go.. it was all a trial and error find , just as my XM-P drop tank was.. The celica is a twin round headlight model roughly 78.I once said that a Corona 108 fits.. as it is the same radiator .. but it doesnt! its length is 1" too short for the bolt holes( lots of time wasted on figuring out that one!) i have access to a digital camera and will soon have photos of it in the celica.. and then in a gem... so you will all see that it does fit ( not the early TX tho as the mounts are completely diferent)

another rare visit from...

lachy.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

Hey man, I'm just saying what I've found out for myself. The radiator I got from the wreckers wasn't a bolt in fit, I had to weld some tabs on it and drill some holes, which in my book isn't a bolt in swap.

You say that a Corona 108 fits, but is about an inch too short. Maybe some celicas had this radiator??? I bought mine off the rack, not out of a car and it had RA40 painted on it. To check it would fit, I walked down the the gems and trialed it in a few engine bays. The early models didn't even come close really, but the later ones (Mines a TD wagon) were pretty close.

So, I found that they are not a bolt in swap.

In other news, I did end up getting a themo switch for it. Dad actually bought it (I wouldn't have paid the $70 they charged him for it) but its now on the gem. No dramas at all fitting it and it is better than having to worry about switching it on when the gauge goes up.

Oh, and I am in Brissie, on the northside. If you filled in your details I'd know where you were too.
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

remembrer there were ra and ta celicas. and in the 40s there were ones with boots and hatches. possible there is different radiators between them
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

i had a look at the wreckers today, and RA40 is actually the make of the car on the firewall, nothing actually on the radiator. i'll take it out a try fit it in a TG coz there is a reco radiator in one of them coupe lookin things.

looks like it will fit, the radiator is just wider, ie. closer to the bolts on the side.

chris.
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Celica radiators,that DO fit Reply with quote

Greg... I live on the sunny coast.. and drive/ ride to bris every day for work.. i leave the car(3 days a week) at northlink pl outside work.. im there till 12pm then off home.. can meet you somewhere if you like soas you can see the radiator/ thermo combination.
Email me at loksimpson@hotkey.net.au

a rare visit from....

lachy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: