HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

thermatic switch install...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

i have just installed a thermo from a n12 pulsar [its a good fit], and i am wondering if it is worth installing a thermo switch, or just hardwiring the fucker to the on switch in the ignition?

i still have the normal fan in there at the moment, but i wanna know before i remove the old fan.

on that, i also wanna know the best place for a thermo switch in a tg gem....dont be creative either, this really has me confused....do i use the heater lines, or the thermostat line....that kinda shit.

ok, thanks all.

rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

if you install it to run all the time, it sort of defeats the puropse of fitting an electric fan, as it will load the alternator when running and sap your horsepower.

An adjustable thermal switch is about $40 from car shops.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

if you install it to run all the time, it sort of defeats the puropse of fitting an electric fan, as it will load the alternator when running and sap your horsepower.

An adjustable thermal switch is about $40 from car shops.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

BTW, you insert it into the top radiator hose.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

ok...how?

its kinda dumb to ask, but i dont know a way of putting it in the pipe without it pissing water everywhere...or do i have to make a junction and t pipe setup in the hose?

thanks ben.

rob.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

I think the switch comes with instructions. It has a small diameter (about 1.5mm) copper tube, that you put in between the outlet of the radiator and the hose. It comes with a little bit of rubber which you are supposed to use to stop leaks, but I just put a bit of silicone in their, and shes right!

By it, and then you'll get how it works. Without a switch, there is no benefit of using an electric fan.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: thermatic switch install... Reply with quote

I had mine wired up on ignition since I didn't want to risk the engine getting too hot.

Since my twincam has no engine fan at all (doesnt fit !)

I plan on getting one of these switches once I build the car back up though, seems like a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: