HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Big front brakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: bigger vs stupidly big Reply with quote

I agree, in terms of sensible brake upgrades for the holden gemini, it really comes down to piazza items, or your setup and I must say, it is an ingenious upgrade... but... I don't want to follow the footsteps of another, I'm looking for a showcase upgrade, something that all the other gemini knutters can see and go "f#ck, big brakes are good, I want big brakes", chances are they'll probably be sensible and go with your setup, I want to be the superlative example of something in the gemini world, like spry, baghdadi, mobbs or woodward...

The master cylinder might prove to be a problem and potentially an expensive one at that, but the bias would be fairly straight-forward to resolve.

Once again, it all boils down to wank factor...
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Big front brakes Reply with quote

Dear Loz!
Just reading all this brake stuff and wondering what DBA 807's are? What Car are they off and what was the best caliper n found to suit this disc? Thanks
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Big front brakes Reply with quote

807's are off the bigger Audi's. they hae a dia. of 288mm so they are pretty damn big (11.5").
Cant say there is a best caliper to use as all will need to be modified a bit or have mods done to make them fit, given the large size of rotor compared to the gemis small stubaxle/stereing knuckle. I wouldn't use anything less than a good 4 spot caliper from a volvo or BMW etc. Best bet though would be a brembo of a skyline or evo lancer etc, or a set of AP racing calipers. However these start at about $1000 for a good set. Its basically trial and error. I used a set of volvo 4 pots and they were great. Now Ive got 7 series/M5/M6 BMW calipers on my car and will be much better better, (more pad,better system,etc). We'll soon see.

Loz
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza Hubs Reply with quote

Hey mark,
I'm currently doin the brakes on my TE, and i found a kit which fits 300mm rotors on with VX twin sopt callipers, i've already been told the best master cylinder to use with it is a XB one, but i hadn't thought about bias valves, do you have a recommendation on this. I know it seems like a wnk factor on size, but i want the car to stop and handle and then i'm gonna start playin with power, thanks... Matt
diesel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Big front brakes Reply with quote

as i am the fuckin guru of fuckin gemini brakes, and ive been told this by others.(i dont toot my own horn cause i get cramp). the you beaut magna commodore combo that has been designed by engineering wizard and personal mate diesel is huge in stopping capabilities. when racing at barbagello raceway in w.a. we were suprised to find the gemi would pull up from 180klm per hour to 90 klm phr in a distance of 50 to 55 meteres from the said corner. any attempt to go bigger on the front brakes caused severe lock up and massive front end damage due to chronic understeer. so if you over brake a GEMI you better have good insurance

from M.P.H. Motorsport
Welshpool Western Australia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: