HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Paint Probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasabi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Paint Probs Reply with quote

Allo,
I am painting my car at the moment, and I seem to be getting a SHITLOAD of overspray on my top coats, I had to sand it back a bit to get it smooth!
How do I stop so much overspray from comin out? Change my paint/thinner mixture? or change the settings on the gun??

Thanks..

Bern
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Probs Reply with quote

try a 40% paint/clear 60% thinners it sounds to me your spraying too dry with not enough thinners and then go to a 30% paint/clear 70% thinners and on your last few coats almost be spraying just thinners to reform the paint like 10% paint/clear and 90% thinners.. on your last few coats with just 90% thinners try not to spray to heavy but at the same time still resonably wet..
cheers
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Probs Reply with quote

nah it ain't over spray dude, the primer is drying before it hits the surface metal of your car, happened to me when i first started but i got it down pat now, make sure u stir the thinner and primer mixture thourghly for a couple of minutes, and muck around with the air pressure, and the air gun fan thingo, that nobe next to where the paint comes out of the gun, that adjusts wether the primer is sprayed on in a wider line or a thinner line, make it thinner and it will got on wet. Your main aim is for the primer to go on as wet as possible without it running, but if it does dont worry, it's only the primer, and practice makes perfect it's a matter of trial and error, believe me, my car i am spraying next week hopefully, i have been preparing it priming etc.. since the day i got it, 6 months ago, so she is ready. cheers, by the way it dosn't really have much to do with the amount of thinners u mix with the primer. and hold the gun about 15-20cm from the surface your spraying.

chris... need any more advice give us a bell. TGfanatic@hotmail.com
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Probs Reply with quote

not a prob mate its not over spray ive only been in the trade for 15 years and wouldnt know what i was talking about
over spray is the paint that drys before it hits the panel and to stop this refer to above mentioning..

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: