HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Sheetmetal for bodywork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Sheetmetal for bodywork Reply with quote

What guage metal should I get for the gem to patch up a couple of rust spots ?

I tried stratco and for 2mm mild steel it was $30 for 1 square metre. They had to order it in and shit so I told them not to bother.

Anywhere else cheaper ? all I really need is off-cuts I guess.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sheetmetal for bodywork Reply with quote

all you really need to do is find some scrap rolled steel sheet. i used what was left of an old hot water unit casing to mig-up my tg....as long as you are patching over steel or are a fuckin good welder, 1-1.5 mm should do. i cannot see the plate i used to fix my floorpan being more than 1mm.

hope this helps you some.

rob.
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sheetmetal for bodywork Reply with quote

40 gallon drums are the same steel that is used in floors, so if you can get your hands on one of these your set
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheetmetal for bodywork Reply with quote

I've borrowed a TIG welder from a friend. I'm getting someone else to do the welding cos I'm not too great.

Is the TIG ok for body panels?, I assume it would just make a cleaner, smaller weld with less distortion.
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheetmetal for bodywork Reply with quote

just buy an old door and cut it up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: