HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Induction question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Induction question Reply with quote

I am desinging forced induction for the gem and was wondering how yous deal with water intake, specifically with induction routed through a bonnet scoop. As imagine sitting on 120 in hard rain it would be sucking as much wet stuff as air. Do you not worry about it or have you devised a way to combat water intake
cheers
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

why would u use forced induction. Its a good idea, but isnt it illegal, i was gonna use cold air intake but the piping would be illegal. Anyway forced intake sounds good, but i think it would be near impossible to keep the rain out
flatchatcharlie
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

forced induction is turbo or supercharger where the inlet pressure is higher than atmospheric pressure.If you think air blowing in your bonnet scoop is going to force air in to your engine think again it has been tried the speeds required to produce positive pressure are inxcess of 160kph the highest air pressure zone is at the base of the windscreen near the wipers this is called cowl induction there was a model of torona that had a reverse bonnet scoop to try to take advantage of this high pressure zone americain nas cars also use it salt lake racers have had engines lean out enough to blow motors but the speeds required to produce pressure are extremly high
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

I better mention this isnt for a turbs or s'charger
I know this, but u havnt hought of a way to duct air effectiely from that area. And becasue of that ill have to compromise, and the options i could think of were directly through the bonnet where the air would travel a mere foot or ducting leading to the front of the engine bay next to the bash plate or somewhere higher where it has to travel 3 or 4 feet through a hot engine bay where the air would be heated, not a lot but more than through the bonnet. When i look at those two options obviously id prefer through the bonnet, where it would be sucking cold air, at the rate it sucks, plus the rate at which the air is being pushed into it wihch depends on the speed your travelling.
But again i wanna know, has anyone done it and what are your thoughts on sucking water
flatchatcharlie
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

I have a cold air intake hooked up taking air from the front of the car and I ve never experinced water getting to the engine.Whats an air cleaner for?
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

How do you go with water clogging your filter? A filter full of water wont be sucking air to its full potential. Probably im being to fussy, just interested to know cheers it up anyway.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

The small amounts of water that get through the air filter aren't a problem, it just makes your car run a little cooler... just like water/methanol injection Wink
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

Yeah ive heard a little every now and then is actually good
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

if you were going to try and route it through the front (ie grille, stone tray etc.) you could put an up and down curve in the piping, that way if water does get in, it would have to travel uphill to get right in.this would cause other probs though, just a thought
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

yeah it steam cleans ur engine but too much can kill it
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

stops detonation or some shit too
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

thats not a bad idea mate. Long as the angle of the curves arent great flow shouldnt be dramatically affected. But the water that made it through the filter would be a fine mist anyway not substantial drops, that is unless you turn the vapour into drops. A simple way of doing this would be to duct the air through a stainless cold box, as you know stainless becomes cold under pressure. Have the box where it is receiving air flow, water vapour passing through the box would condense into water doplets, thre would have to be a drain of types. But hey, fuck that too much work for a gem i dont intend on keepin for ages anyway, a future project perhaps
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

but if u have cold air induciton it doesnt blow fully onto the air filter anywayu does it. Probably just the was i was gonna set mine up wouldnt. I was just gonna run a pipe with its outlet to the side of my filter. But i have a sports filter thats round and sucks air from all directions
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Induction question Reply with quote

Yeah that was my initial idea, its would take about 2 minutes to do with a few snap ties and some ducting and you wouldnt have to worry about fitting a filter to the pipe. Just have ducting that kisses the filter, i mean ending right on it, but not attached. But it would still be sucking hot air from around it. Im going to get a stainless cold box welded up that will sit on the carbs, air being fed from the front of the car via ducting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: