HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rotary conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: rotary conversion Reply with quote

this is a copy of an earlier post i made, if u want pics, measurements or have questions email me at
tdnocam@hotmail.com enjoy Smile

so far my rota conversion has cost me $5000 and it aint finished yet, but that is
because im doing it all to show standard! if u were to put a rota in and get it running
cheaply it would probably cost around $2500-$3000 all up and running.
there isnt actually that much to it, ill give u a quick rundown:
remove the old engine mounts from the original crossmember (yes, u must cut them
off) it just gives u a bit more room to play with. get a front timing cover off a early rx7,
the 1 that has the mounts at the front of the engine. you will need to make a new
crossmember that mounts between the chassis rails and mount rx7 mounts on it. a
new sump needs to be fabricated. a crossmember must be made for the gearbox
which u just bolt thru the floor and weld a piece of steel on the otherside of the floor. a
tail shaft will need to be made.
u need to get hold of an oil cooler (mines outta an rx2) and mount it sum where, like
wise a radiator, i used an rx3 1 and it fits between the chassis rails.
hydralic clutch needs to be installed, i sent my car off to get this done, but basically it
involves cutting a hole in the firewall and mounting the clutch master in a lower position
and connecting the fork to the clutch peddle.

thats all i can think of at the moment, at work i got diagrams of what the front
crossmember should be made like and what dimensions and pics of the whole
conversion.
hope this helps

justin

btw... if u r in adelaide and want a rota conversion done i can get crossmembers made up, or i can help wif the conversion!
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

would u be able to give me a bit more detail on the hydrolic clutch??
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

basically this involves mounting the clutch master just under where the clutch cable comes out of he fire wall. the fork from the master is then joined onto the clutch pedle so that when u push it in, it pushes the fork into the master cylinder
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

u should do a workshop article on a rota conversion as i know id be hell interested or just put one together inculing pics and diagrams and the instructions and email it to people i know id be hell interested and seems like u know what your doing and could help some fellow gem fans
cheers man
ohh yeah if u want to email me the first copy my addey is billy_goat_guff@hotmail.com cheers man
WAY2LOWatwork
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

ok... ill do a workshop article and ill send a copy to u as well, i just have to get my car back so i can take some fotos and then ill get the article together.
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

eagerly awaiting your workshop article
GemiKing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

Can you also please email that article to
Gemi_king@hotmail.com
Ive been interested in doing this conversion for a while now. My mate has a 13b sitting on my shed floor and i think hes startin to lose interest in it. Might see if i can get it from him. Wink
lodeo
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

this is just what i needed. Have just sold my g200 turbo and am just about to buy a S IV, V 13bt front cut. There are crossmembers for this particular conversion advertised for $300. Is this a reasonable price? I was hoping this was going to be a simple conversion as I have seen it done before, but maybe not. If I could also get some more details and diagrams etc it would be much appreciated! add is matsparkinson@hotmail.com cheers!
lodeo
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

this is just what i needed. Have just sold my g200 turbo and am just about to buy a S IV, V 13bt front cut. There are crossmembers for this particular conversion advertised for $300. Is this a reasonable price? I was hoping this was going to be a simple conversion as I have seen it done before, but maybe not. If I could also get some more details and diagrams etc it would be much appreciated! add is matsparkinson@hotmail.com cheers!
badger101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

im interested in doing a 13b conversion to my 1980 gemini and have no idea where to start if anyone has any info that may help me plz send it to badger_101@hotmail.com. thanks mates.
MeTeOrA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rotary conversion Reply with quote

Yes I would be interested in that article too, would it be the same for 12A as I can get one for pretty much nothing in perfect working order
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: