HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem??????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H3PPZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

i was wondering if have not seen many gems with the big cannons on the back of them and was wondering if there was a reason for this and if they can do any engine damage or lesser the back pressure????

cheers!
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

i got one on my gem havent had any problems got extractors and 2inch straight through the muffler has made it quiter but it has its advantage at times but yer i havent regreted slapin it on looks kool and dont give me any of that rice shit
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

does it lower the tone of the exhuast, mine sounds alright, a bit higher than what i wanted. Its got a 2" from the flexi back with a hotdog and a sports muffler, im thinkin of takin the muffler off and puttin a stainless barrel one.
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

the only problem about putting a polished muffler on a gem is that unlike other cars they cant be tucked up under the body at all and just hang in mid air pretty much which kind of looks a little gay. I havent seen one polished muffler on a gem that I have liked
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

http://members.iweb.net.au/~orca/gemi_build/IMGA0120.JPG

Best looking exhaust, tho a little loud.

Excuse the shitty paint and rust, this pic was before I started stripping the car for a respray and stuff.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

these are mainly used for turbos. back persure?!?! WTF, these things alow more flow (ie no back presure ) meaning ya slowing ya car down by haveing one if your engin if it is N/A.
cos u dont want any back presure on a turbo thats why they use these. but if i were u i would give up 5-10kw for the extra "coolness" points u will get from having a rice connon on ya gem Very Happy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

its all about the rice aint it boys....Razz
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

i love rice Very Happy
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

and genes mum
lowrideTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

I read a big article on exhaust back pressure a little while ago, it was a street machine mag. They seemed to think the only back pressure you need on an exhaust is piping, an engine wont run without a manifold at least, but approx 1 metre of piping is the essential back pressure. Ive talked to guys at exhaust shops and they say using the 'can' or 'rice cannon' exhausts on normaly aspirated engines, the cannon is placed as far back as possible, this means the piping throughout the rest of the car gives adequate pressure.
"Engines dont need HEAPS of exhaust back pressure, just enough to run the engine, any more doest really make a difference" thats a quote from several exhaust shops ive sussed out.
Most rice cannons ive seen on gemmys dont look the part, they hang a long way down & because of the geometry of the boot, they werent made to fit them, the best looking and sounding exhaust ive ever seen on a gem, was genie extractors, 2.25 piping and one lukey high flow sports mufler, i took to the sound of it so much that i got the exhaust done to my tg, now the car thumps like a 6 with a heavy cam and i got alot more power than my previous exhaust (2inch, one normal mufler). This is just a bit of my experience, hope it helps, my advice would be: go for an expensive mufler, spend the money & it wont sound tinny. leave the rice canisters for the japs
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

"genie extractors, 2.25 piping and one lukey high flow sports mufler"

hahah, why thank you Wink
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

i've seen heaps of gems in adelaide with stainless mufflers! including my own. i think they look pretty good on gemmy's how u can see the whole muffler from the back.
Mr DOHC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

they dont look that good man cos it looks like a big mumma sittin on some lil man.....it just aint a happenin thang. the rice boxes are bigger than the gemini. hmmmm rice
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

gees if u dont like em u dont like dont spread your NAZI shit around. the chrome muffles ie cannons all they are is an extremly large hot dog which is a resinator go and have a look at a hod dog and a chrome muffler ther nearly i dentical apart from size and of course the colour....but who cares u gotta have chrome accrording to high octane 3 video hehehe
badboygem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: puting a stainless steel exhaust on a gem?????? Reply with quote

where was the muffler placed?? i realise that those lukeys are small but if i spend that much on one i wouldnt want it hitting speed bumps like mine does now. there is enough space for it to be put at the back, an i dont go crazy with the hose so i dont think ill have rusting problems....is there any reason i cant have it at the back????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: