HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Forged Pistons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

Hello Boys and Girls.

I have a quote for $1200 for a set of forged pistons with rings, but I recall reading some people are using 8-900 dollar sets. What are the brands and who are the suppliers?

I remember the names Ross and SPS being mentioned I think.

Ben Wight
Nick_H
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

Hi
This has got nothing to do with your question but i hope you would be able to help me out.

i think u have said you are using a microtech .I have a Microtech MT-4. i have a flat spot when u push to about halfway down on the accelerator from idle ,i can give it a smal rev off idle and there is no flat spot. When crusing just touching the accelerator and then accelerate hard it will give a jerk and go. i donk know if its the RPMwot or the pump2start that needs changing if that at all? ]

Thanks
Nick
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

It sounds like your two pumps need a tune. RPMWot only comes on after constant levels of vacuum below the preset level, usually about 5", an it shouldn't be tuned to dump enough extra fuel in give a flat spot.

The two pumps can be tuned for amount of fuel deliverd, and number of pulses, as well as timing advance too.

Depending on when it is ocurring, it might be either 1 or 2. You need to do some tuning on the road or dyno to sort it out.

Ben
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

Okay, to answer my own question somewhat, I understand mahle pistons can be modified to fit, but also that they are not the best fit, and I think someone mentioned that they are designed for a circlip gudeon pin arrangement, which I dont want to bother converting to.

I could get custom ones made for about $220 each, but have no advertisements handy, and dont really trust a company that I dont know any good stories about.

So in short, I would like someone to tell me " I am using XXX brand forgies, and cost me XXX much. I got them from XXX, and have been using them for ages with no problems."

Thanks guys.
Ben Wight
Nick_H
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

thank you for your reply..ill have to do some messing around with it.

Thanks
Nick
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Forged Pistons Reply with quote

Weisco had sets of 1800 pistons which I used a couple of years back. Cost about $900. I would have used them in my current engine but the builder had troubles getting them so he used another set.

Try serco, they also distribute weisco and used to make their own. Dont know if they still do though. www.serco.com.au.
Or try JE forged pistons.

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: