HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

do i or dont i??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUF TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

i have a white interior, well white back seat, white door trims white parcel shelf, white console etc. but what i am lacking is white front seats, so i got a quote today for my front seats to get trimmed in white vinyl, $400 a seat!!!! would it be worth getting the vinyl TE seats and just spraying them white using vinyl paint?? would it turn out ok?? anyone done it?? also i am about to paint my dash, is there a clear top coat you can buy to put over the paint just for that lil bit of added protection and gloss??
thanks alot guys and sorry for the longish post!!

Hayden
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

it will peal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

Yes it will peal due to the constant flexing of the vinyl
TUF TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

oh ok, so there is no other way of getting white front seats apart from paying $400 per seat to have them re trimmed??
PUNK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

There is a guy in Sydney who advertises in the trading post and recovers recaros in leather for less than that so I would check around for some more prices.
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

If you were doing them say in black i would suggest dying them rather than just spraying them. Not sure how youd go trying to dye them white
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

yeah keep looking around. i got my seats (front and rear) door trims done in white and purple vinyl,new hood linning, and carpet done for $1500
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

dye?? what sort of dye do you use? does it look any good?my work gemi needs a bit of time spent on the interior, well only because i hate brown.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

What you could possibly do is get a set of velour seats in a light colour and give them a spray with some white vinyl paint/dye. You can actually get vinyl dye in a spray can that works fine on fabric. When I bought my cordia seats there was a small discolouration on the kidney support. I gave it a spray with some black vinyl dye and it worked fine.
Mr DOHC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

i would not use spray when summer hits
TUF TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

ok cool, yeah thats what i was gunna say next, could you use that vinyl dye stuff on the velourie kinda seats coz thats what i have in it at the moment, so yeah, and that shouldnt peal coz its a softer fabric than the vinyl?? but hmmm decisions decisions, i just want something simple for summernats, it just has to last those 3 days then i can work my ass off to get recaros or something. thanks alot for the help guys.

hayden
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Why dont you Reply with quote

Why dont you leave it standard because white looks really really shit in a Gemini.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

The die wont come off or anything if you use proper die. It will sink into the fabric and change the colour of it.

Any type of paint will come off for sure.
TUF TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why dont you Reply with quote

because the stock interior was all ripped plus GREEN LOOKS EVEN SHITTER THAN WHITE, its the ugliest green ever!!
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: do i or dont i?? Reply with quote

if you only want it during summernats why not just get a couple of snap-on seat covers? they look pretty tough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: