HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

sandblasting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: sandblasting Reply with quote

ok has anyone had there complete car sandblasted after sanding our previous sedan back to metal by hand i want to have my wagon sandblasted to metal.
i just want to know if anyones has done this and if so how much it cost and did u have to strip the car completely including wiring etc or what ???
my engine bay is empty and the only thing left in the car will be the wiring from dash etc..
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

hey
this may or may not be useful information, but, i to at the moment am stripping my TG to metal by sanding, however only the flat outer panels, ie outer door skins, bonnet etc (which doesnt take that long with the air sander)
because for the inner doors, engine bay etc im hiring a high pressure sandblaster for about $70 with sand. This is running of the panel beaters huge compressor, and he reckons its strips every thing easy as. if you no anyone with a big compressor itll save ya some $$$.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

yeah i actually have access to a complete sandblasting booth but ive heard that it creates such a mess that ill be blowing sand outta my car for weeks in all the joins and cracks and shit. and if i do my engine bay i dont want sand to get in wheel bearings etc etc
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

my mates a sand blaster he reckons it would buckle panel
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

theres a place that bead blasts cars for a reasonable price in the trading post, they say it doesnt leave any small indents or buckle panels.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

cugem did his wagon for $500 that was blasted and undercoated
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

Sandblasting will buckle the panelsa because it is such light metal and doesnt have any strenght so if i was u i would be putin some hard nights in sanding or stripping than having a buckled car
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

and u know?! have u seen cugem!?!?! its probly the bestgemini in QLD mate. straighter than any car iv ever seen and he had it sand blasted. bead blasting was warps the pannels. dont preach what u have "just heard from a mate" and dont know
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

settle gene, no need to be so ruff about it.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

well its gay how people say yeah this and yeah that, when they wouldnt know the diff bettween a smelly hippo an a purple chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

from experience gene, sand blasting absolutely fucks gemini panels. warps them real bad. You sand blast the sills and pillars bottom of the doors and guards etc, but you cant hit the centre of the panels cos there is no support and they warp. I have seen this first hand. Maybe cugems car was finished off in spraybog to flatten all the ripples?
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

well from experience i saw first hand a complete nissan patrol get snadblasted today and it was in immaculate condition afterwards. the guy that did it said that as long as u only blast one side of the metal it doesnt do any damage.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

Just for the record my car was not finished in spraybog! But neither were the doors, guards or bonnet blasted. There is a chance they might get too hot and ripple if the blaster doesn't take care. The complete shell was blasted inside and out, which is really where it makes life a lot easier.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

certainly does
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sandblasting Reply with quote

certainly does
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: