HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G180's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: G180's. Reply with quote

i want to know if the g180 is the same as the g200 as far as 'interchangability' of parts are with the g161, and whether the 'big valve' heads fit on the g180's aswell, i'm pretty sure they do, but just makin sure.

also, wot typa cars the g180's come out of as standard?

i know g200's r from jaceroo's and rodeos, but neva seen a g180 in a car that's standard. also, does it say g180 where it says g161 on the 1.6 engines, or is it on the bottom of the other side in that fat writing.

oh, and going for g180 than g200, coz they don't blow head gasgets as often coz of slightly lower compresion, and i heard they go alot harder, than the g200's.

thanx, chris.
gEminemi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: G180's. Reply with quote

1. The G180Z and the G200 can be fitted with the TX big
valve head
2. The G180Z was availiable in the 1980-1984 KB Rodeo
3. The G180Z had a lower compression ratio than the G200Z
(8.5 V's 8.4)
4. Blowing head gaskets basically boils down to 3 things 1)Poor materials used, 2)The tuning & condition of the engine and 3)The driving style of the individual behind the throttle.
I have a G200 in my TX, it has covered a phenomenal amount of kilometres in under 12 months (almost 200,000). I have treated it like a little whore with constant valve bouncing and almost 200kph runs down the highway. It has dead standard internals and has only recently needed a head gasket change - for damn obvious reasons that i just stated.
If i had treated the engine with slightly more respect and not racked up so many kay's in such a short period, i guarentee the head gasket would have been good for at least another 75-100,000 kays easily. I'll be getting alot more out of this gasket as it's a Japanese racing item that i happened to chance upon due to "It's not what you know, it's who you know." It was bought for less than an ACL/Monotorque VRS kit.
The reason why most people would sway toward the 1800 is mainly due to the slightly smaller capacity (at least that's my theory). The smaller capacity would result in less reciprocating mass which would be less stressful on the internals. It would rev slightly higher than it's 2 litre brother, therefore the right mods done in the right areas would produce a nice horsepower figure. On the other hand, the G200 would not like to rev quite as high and create more torque with maybe a slightly lower horsepower figure. But then again like i said, if the right mods are done in the right area's you could get either engine to out perform it's brother with both horsepower and torque. Eventually i am going to test this theory by fitting lighter hypereutectic pistons, lighter aftermarket rods, cross drilling and knife edgeing the crank. This should result in less internal mass than a 1600 but it will still have the capacity of the 2 litre. With twin 44mm DD Webers and a cam to match the head flow rate & capacity, it should haul nicely when i'm lined up next to a similarly modified 1800. I'm itching to see who wins that one - if it's not me, i'll be royally pissed off and fitting forced induction *LOL*
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: G180's. Reply with quote

gees, thanx dude, i can't remember seeing such a long post that is actually a whortwhile read. u've answered all my qns,

i will probably go for the g200 and wack on a copper gasget or sumfin, i'm want to spend a tad under 2k for the works, bottom, head work, reco carb, radiator, cam, etc.

oh, and when u say don't rev as hard, how high are we talkin, with my g161 that i got atm, the block was in mint conditon out of an auto written off gem, new rings, main bearings, seals, and the head just a little clean with cutting compound in the vavle seat thingys, nothin flash, when i want to take off fast, i take 1st to about 4000, and 2nd to just under 6000, and then wack in 3rd. i neva rev it past 6000, i know it will go further, but it's just not how i like to drive.

therfore, would i be better suited to a g180, or a g200.

also, wot typa revs do u give ure g200, and how far are they capable of going safely?

chris.
beasty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: G180's. Reply with quote

Had a g200 in my car for 4 years never blu a head gasket once. had the big valve head on it to. My g200 runs compression of ruffly 11:1 so it has nothing to do with the compression. any engine will go hard with the right kind of work done to it. It made about 130kw at the wheels running webbers.
flatchatcharlie
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: G180's. Reply with quote

130 at the wheels is that in a street car cause thats big number's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: