HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

lumpy cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: lumpy cam Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I probably sound like a cockhead asking this, but i have been reading all this stuff about cams and stuff, and what exactly is a lumpy cam, what difference does it make and how much does it cost and what does it involve?
Cheers again.
TUFF_TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lumpy cam Reply with quote

make the valve go higher or stay up longer and other shit like that so you can get more air/fuel in the cylender than normal and also so you can get the exhaust gas out quicker.
I think

Tuff Te
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: lumpy cam Reply with quote

It changes the duration valves open or close for, including over lap, etc. Cams come in stages etc, a lumpy cam is very aggressive and gives better power in the high rpm bands, but will be shit drivin normally, they literally lump along, you wouldve heard v8s with a similar sound, streetable cams are the best. Lumpy cams are generally only for high performance/racing applications only, trust me they are a bitch in the city, driving slowly...
TGred
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lumpy cam Reply with quote

Take a look at this link: http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

I got my Stage 2 Crow Cam for $150 second-hand. It had only done about 1-2000 kms and was in a 4WD!! I think they're around $350 new.
I can notice a fair power difference after the installation of my cam. My 0-100kph time dropped a fair bit even without a suitable carby.
It's a bit sluggish when the RPM is below 2k, but I'd recommend getting a cam if you want more performance from your gem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: