HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

fitting mr2 seats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

this will be short and sweet...

it is not possible to put gemini rails onto these seats as the reclining mechanism and rails are all one unit. you can do two things.

move (cut/weld) the outer mounting points(closest to the door on each side) 10mmm futhter out and the rear
and weld and thread some steel (or move the stocky mount) back about 150mm back and then bolt straight in

OR

get some decently sized mild steel plate (at LEAST 3mm) and make two 150mm x 40mm cuts and drill 80mm holes in them to bolt the front mounts on to

it will then be trial and error for the rear mounting points, as the gemini rails are a bit narrower so you will not just be extending the mounting points back you will be going out as well..

not really technical but if you have any questions just ask....

for all you tall people, this is one of the best upgrades you can do! no more cramped up legs EVER i am 6'2" and can almost stretch my legs out the entire way to the floor

there will be no chance of any pasasngers sittign behind you but!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

I put GTI seats in mine and the only problem is the damn indicator and wiper switches. They still can get in the way of my knees. Im not short either (185cm) and it is better than the stockies.

In NSW the rules for fitting different seats say you must use a min of 8mm high tensile bolts and if plate is used it must be a min of 50x40x3mm M.S. plate.

They discouage the movement of the mounts as they are specifically attached to structural points.

"there will be no chance of any pasasngers sittign behind you but!"

who needs people in the back when you have a harness!! Wink

Loz
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

where have u mounted the harness to?? roll cage/rearseat/parcel tray??????????
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

i mounted cordia/mitsibushi turbo seats to my van with no hassles. the front bolt hols are exactly teh same width as gemini. all needed was a spacer made out of 5 mil steel tube and longer bolts. the back however i used rear bumper bar brackets off a holden commodore VB-VC. theses were used due to their angle and strength.

a days work.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

what year modle and whast to they look like??
im thinking of goin new (1998+) 4x4 rodeo seats! very NICE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

About the cordia seats, I don't think all the models are the same. Mine were AB cordia seats.

I had to take the side bracket off and fit a L-shaped bracket along the side and bottom of the seat, then I put some flat steel along the width of the side underneath, I bolted this into the original cordia seat brackets on the actual seat itself.

Then to finish, just get some 5mm square steel tube to jack the seats up a bit (needed if you a shortass like me, not crucial) weld this to the old gemi runnners, sit them in the car, sit the seat on top, position it and tack it to the spacer on the runners. Let it cool and make sure it still fits. If so weld the rest up.

Use a MIG welder and not stick since you don't want too much heat near your seats Smile

Bit of a pain to do but the result should is good.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: fitting mr2 seats Reply with quote

It goes to the parcel tray bolt holes for the SL/X (or whatever) retracting seat belts. Nearly perfect place.
However I want to move it to my cage when it goes in.

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: