HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

painted dashboards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: painted dashboards Reply with quote

just seein what you people think about painting dashboards? im doin mine at the moment, but mine is being airbrushed as well (by me) i'll post some pics on my site when im finished it just to see what u people think, oh yea here is my site if u wanna have a look
http://groups.msn.com/AirheadAirbrushing
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

i want to do it to mine- what sort of prep does the vinyl need? or have you skinned it and done the bog thing?
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

i dunno what the dash is like in the rb, yea i know what car u got im hardcoregemfreak! hahahaha the good old days, but yea ne way, all i did was sand it with 240 scourer (not as harsh as sand paper), boged the cracks n the speaker holes n stuff, then plastic primed it, which gives it a flexable surface to stick to, then sand that with the scourer again, then i 2pack primed it to fill any little bodgy bits, then sand again, get it as smooth as you want it, then i used spiece hecker base coats and acrylic clear, i haven't finished it yet as im airbrushing some stuff on it when i get some fotos i'll put em on my site
http://groups.msn.com/AirheadAirbrushing
i'lllet you know how it all turns out, by the way all the paint i used apart from the 2pack primer was spiece hecker. if you want any more info give me a yell.
matt.
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

you change your name more than you change your undies! thanks for that, the rb dash is all vinyl so i doubt thered be any great difference in preparation, except for the fact theres no cracks in mine. i want to mount my tacho on the top of the dash (slightly recessed in), are there any laws against this?
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

I just gave mine a rub with 800/wet, filled the cracks and sprayed it with vynl spray. Worked fine.
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

not sure bout the tacho, dont think it should b a problem though, n as for the vinal paint n sand paper soop, i just used what i used cos i use it all the time wit the stuff i paint, there is a few paints i know of you could have used, and the sandpaper (scourers) i stole from work n i can get it as nice as i want it usin them, but yea there is a few ways you could go about it, mine isn't finished yet but it will be in for the next brissie cruse so u can check it out if u's want.
matt
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: painted dashboards Reply with quote

Yeh if I were to do it again it prolly use plastic primer then acrylic paint and clear or something.

Just used the vinyl spray for convenience I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: