HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Locking a dizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Locking a dizzy Reply with quote

What is the best way to lock a gemi dizzy?
One fella told me to tie wire to the plate etc and hold it tht way, but that sounds a bit dodgy to me. What have others done, ans is it reliable??

Cheers
Loz
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Locking a dizzy Reply with quote

weld the 2 plates together
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Y lock a dizzy? Reply with quote

What benefit does the mod have on your performance? And what are the negatives? I've never had anyone explain 2 me why this mod is done.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Y lock a dizzy? Reply with quote

I believe you do it in order to run computer controlled ignition.

So all the dizzy has to do is fire and the computer tells it when and how to fire.

I could be wrong though.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Y lock a dizzy? Reply with quote

Undo the 2 screws that hold the plate down, pull out the vaccuum advance diaphragm, and pull out the top plate points and all. Take out the two springs that hold the flyweights to the rotating weight and then weld them closed. Then refit top plate. Simple as. I have done it many times.

You lock a dizzy up for "boosted" purposes. Most turbo cars have a vaccuum advance/boost retard diaphragm, or are controlled by the ecu. eg/ You want max 20degree total timing otherwise it pings on boost, if you retard the dizzy you will have 10atdc initial timing and it will start, idle and generally run like a dog off boost. A locked dizzy you can set at 20degree intial, 20degree total advance etc.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Y lock a dizzy? Reply with quote

By this do you mean weld the flyweights to the rotating weight so that the centrifigal force cant force them out?

If so then its done! (tomorrow)

And for everyone else I am locking it for use with a computer.

Cheers
Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: