HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

CA18DET? will it fit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

i know there is alot of people that are looking at putting in and already have put in FJ20DET's in their gemi's, i was looking at putting one in and then realised that they are roughly the same size, cos i know of afew people that have had ca18's in silvias and put in fj20's im just wondering if anyone has done a ca18det conversion into a gemi? also you are able to pick up a ca18det cheaper than a fj20det (from what ive seen) any info would be appreciated,

thanks peeps, matt
PhilC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

http://www.fullboost.com.au/cars/readerscars/c18gem_dirk/c18_gem.html
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

thats coz ca18dets arent a strong engine like the fj 20 and sr20det, they arent as powerful, but if u can do it cheaper i suppose ud go for that, it would still be damn quik! let us know how much it costs to get done, coz i can get import engines for cheap, but i think if i get import i'd go for the 2l engines or higher
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

Aren't a strong engine? Would you care to back that up with some facts?
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

exactly what i was thinking!!

facts please...
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

off course they will fit!! if a fj or sr does what they hell would make u think they wouldnt when there smaller?? and as for them not being strong??
ppffft u r on drug mmmm-kay
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

compared to a SR20det or fJ20, they arent as good,or strong and dont have the power to match, y do u think more ppl go for sr20s and fj20s????????????????? ummm...

sure would be great to have ca18det, dont get me wrong, i love my mate s 180sx, but if i was going to do conversion wit that amount of cash, i would rather put in a little bit more and get sr20det
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET? will it fit? Reply with quote

Facts are missing here... So you are going to NOT go for the CA18DET despite the better bore:stroke ratio, better valve actuation and proper 8 port head... nah mate, I think you've been watch fast and the fabulous too much.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: CA18DET Not strong or durable??? Reply with quote

The CA18DET was fitted with a stud girdle for the bottom ends main bearings, this alone would increase it's durability over many other 4cyl engines. They were also fitted with oil squirters underneath the pistons to increase durability, cooling, reliability, and longevity.
Each of Nissans engines (ones fitted with forced induction) are exceptional peices of mechanical engineering.
I know which engine i would choose out of the 3 u have mentioned, but i can still understand why someone else would fit one of the others. If u really do have the cash to undertake a conversion, then study your options thoroughly. Decide which one is realistically ideal for your intended power goal, driving style & wallet thickness.
Jasyn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: