HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Aircon for a Gem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get an aircon system for a gemini ? I am in Brisbane.

Cheers,

Ben.
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

i dont know man, but if you find out can you let me know? thanks man

matt
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

If I find aircon for a Gemini I will start a damn website advertising it and yeah I will let you know, they are impossible to find out about so far. I saw a wiring diagram once and it looks as if aircon was available from factory, but I am hoping to save a few $'s buy buying second hand.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

i've seen them on gems advertised in the paper a while ago, so they do exist. i wouldn't think putting a/c on a stock gem is a good idea. it will go no where when the a/c is running.

chris.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

they must had been a option because if u look at your fuse cover thing, theres a fuse for a/c
GemFactor
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

Ive got 2 air con setups off my bros 323i beamers. He reckons i should wack one in the gem. couldnt be fucked tho and like that other lad said, would tak away from the already lacking power plant when running
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

I must be just lucky i guess, when i was looking for a Gemini 12 months ago i looked at 3 that had standard air-con. My room-mate was going 2 buy a TF about 3 months ago with factory air-con. Then about 3 weeks ago i was having a gander at my local wreckers, and there was a TG with the air-con fitted as well. It was here on the Gold Coast at Sailsbury Wreckers, try going to your local wreckers and see if they're hooked up with a wrecker network like Sailsbury is. They should be able to order the bits you want from one of their counterparts for a small if at all fee. The place i saw the TG at may even still have the complete air-con setup ready to be sent off wherever.
Jasyn...
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

I definately won't be running aircon on a standard engine, I ain't that silly Smile

But aircon is a must for any car these days, especially when you live in bloody Queensland.

Looks like Monday will be a trip to holden to see if they have any factory units available.
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

Thanks Jasyn, I am all of 5 minutes away from Salisbury wrecking at Salisbury, I will go down there on Monday.

Thanks for the info.
Ben.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

yep, they were a dealer option i think?? (pls correct me if im wrong), but when i wasd looking at a couple of TG's to buy both of them had it, and it was pretty good as well, nice and cold.

In the engine bay on the drivers side there will be a big box on the the end of the heater fan thing. If any one bought the fast fours issue july 2002, with the blue gemini coupe on the front (QIK-48U), This appears to be fitted with air con. on page 40, you can see the box in the engine bay. although how efficient it is with the fridge intercooleron the front is questionable. Pictures might be on there website???
cheers
Ross
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Facts Reply with quote

Aircon was a dealer option on models from TE onward. The front sheetmetal of the tx-d models doesnt accept a condenser without a little bit of surgery. There were two types of evaporator fitted. One had the lines from the pump conecting near the skirt, and one had the lines connectiong near the brake booster, the latter is muuuuch neater and better looking. The aircon would work, when you switched the vents to recycle and turned the fan on, with the heater tap closed. ie, on cold. I have mine ready to go in, but it wont be til after the show. I have just wired it in the hi-lo switch with a seperate switch inside the car. So i can turn the air on when the vents are on recycle or fresh. The hole on the firewall, down near the back of the guage cluster is the pick up for the aircon/recycled air.

The wires are light green and dark green from factory that connect to the fan switch and the main loom. the fan switch should have a dark green wire coming of the back with a female connector. I will point out that all models had wiring provision from factory for aircon but none were fitted from tx-d as i said b4. Some people may have fitted it later, and thats why perhaps you might find the odd early model with aircon.

I've had a TE auto with air, yeah i did notice a big difference in driving with it on, but who cares, just cruise around and look cool, instead of driving like a wanker and be niiiiice and sweaty. Turn the air off if ur gonna give it a bit, the compressor spins so frelly u wont have any power loss with it off anyway!

cheers
mooch
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircon for a Gem Reply with quote

thats true (om the front wheel drive ones at least). a mate has a stock auto 86 model and it kills it when he has the a/c running. id imagine the rwd would be the same?
Mr DOHC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AIR CON Reply with quote

i think i may be able to scoop up an air con originally fitted to a te....depends if my mate will sell it cos he doesnt want it. its a big silver box that bolts up to the back left hand side of the engine bay.
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AIR CON Reply with quote

my first gem, was a auto tf, had aircon. i bought it off an old fogey who had it since brand new. it was like a freezer inside!
MrSHADOW
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: AIR CON Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the info peoples, much appreciated, now if anyone can obtain a working aircon system or even a non working one please let me know, or even a Gemini with aircon fitted, I need one ASAP, summer is here and I want to drive around during the days if I can.
email me mrshadow@mrshadow.org if you help.

Cheers,
Ben.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: