HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

HEY MOOCH......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: HEY MOOCH...... Reply with quote

hey,
firstly top job on the 2nd rebuild.. i gotta question bout dash painting. Im painting my TG dash with white custom mixed vinyl paint(some kinda acrylic base with lotsa flexi additions..), the thing is, at the top it has a very slight ding that has caused a very small hole (bout the size of the end of your pinky finger), the dash is perfect otherwise. So b4 i spray it i wanna bog it up. do i need to prime etc? can i just spray the patch first with some adhesion promoter,then vinyl paint, then bog, then final vinyl spray???
cheers,
ross
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: HEY MOOCH...... Reply with quote

Thanx!

Well, if it hasa caused a hole, in time the original vynal may lift and peel around that spot. what i would advise is to chop up some chopped strand fibreglass mat, into ittle hair like pieces. roungh up around the hole with 80 grit paper - dont break thru the vynal surface! mix up some resin and push the mat in to the hole and flood with resin. doesnt matter if it spills oer the top. When its dry use a dremel if u have one, or a file to nock it down flat. you can go a tad lower if u want. Invest in some 2pak body filler as this is some good shit! us this to tie the surfaces level, prime the dash with plaspak primer, then u can use a normal acrylic primer. give it a scuff or just "wet on wet" it with ur colour. try achieve some flatness on the top to avid glare if u can. just use a normal general thinner to stop reactions and too much gloss.

hope that helps!
mooch
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: HEY MOOCH...... Reply with quote

thanks,
yer its not really a hole, its just like its been stabbed with something (probaly a screwdriver at the panel shop when they took the window out..)and its indented the surface but not penetrated past the vinyl.. i realy was just wanting to know if the bog sticks? but oviously it does. Do u use flexi ad. in your primers?, cause i wasnt goin to prime, just use adhesion promoter (some special shit the trimmer uses) ,then a light tack coat of vinyl spray, then bog, then final vinyl paint.
cheers
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HEY MOOCH...... Reply with quote

Pick up some 2pac filler as mooch said. It's great stuff, sticks to anything unlike your normal filler which really only sticks to bare metal surfaces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: