HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Recommend Acrylic Paint.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

I'm getting closer to spraying the gem, in acrylic.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of acrylic paint thats of decent quality and price.

I'm just spraying in white with a few clears over the top so I don't expect it to be overly expensive.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

Im pretty sure white is a group one colour. Most of the paint we used on my car is ppg. However this is quite expensive. We did use Protec acrylic clear on the body this time and it is pretty good shit i have to say. Its very well priced and is extremely clear. ppg/dulux clears tend to be a yelowish tint. Open the can and look into it, it should look empty - which the protec does. For the susension we used protec 2k and its held on really well aswell. Its fairly cheap as i said. You wont need to the acrylic thinners though. Just use the R103 General Thinner. The acrylic thinner is a "retarded thinner" and goes off slower to give a better gloss of the gun. With acrylic youre gonna have to cut it anyways! The acrylic thinner is a harsher thinner and will cause more problems with break thru's and reactions, even when you dont think it will happen.

Paint 5 coats of colour and block maybe 2 off with 1500 off after a couple of days.

The reason for this is that you are going to get peel on 5 coats of white, and you need atleast 5 coats coz white is a bitch for coverage. (bigger molecules - but thats another story) If you clear over your peel, no matter how much you block your clear it'll never look right. The surface will be flat but if you look thru the clear you will see peel. Nothing looks worse dude. So block ur base!

Then re top coat it with a real wet coat of colour, and then hit it with 5 or 6 coats of clear and let it go for a while as you already know. block it with 2000, and use the Farecla cutting compound with their white pad, followed by meguires fine cut cleaner with the farecla black pad. It'll look like glass mate!

cheers
Mooch
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

thamks mate that answered a few questions for me as well. this might be a stupid one, but why do you need a clear coat on a 'solid' colour ie non-metallic etc.,is it there for shine/protection etc?cheers,weeksie.
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

acrillic will rub off onto ya rag when u polish it if u dont clear it, and it will loke shit.
got with "spies hecler" (spelling ?) acrilic. mine was in that and buffed up beter than 2 pac
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

What is considered best, second best and worst out of acrillic, 2 pac & enamel?
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

2 pac is good, but you need an oven to paint it in, acrylic is easy to use and shines up a treat, and enamels that stuff you paint your house with isnt it?
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

do you mean 'spies hecker'? thanks mate. so, you only need to block the base colour back with 1500/2000 or whatever before you put the clear coat over it,ie no polishing of the actual base colour whatsoever, is that what you mean?
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

2 pac is no. 1 i reckon bcoz if u do it properly, and it comes out good once, it wail stay like that forever. it is also very hard to scratch, ie. you can put your fingernail in it as hard as you can, and nothing will happen. acrylic and enamel are on the same level i believe. enamel is just harder to paint, enamel will look perfect straight after the job, and u don't have to touch it at all, but it fades very quickly compared to the other two. acrylic however, with a few coats of clear, and a good cut and polish will look fkn sweet, like a mirror, but if u run your fingernail over it very gently, it will leave a mark, ie. it is very easy to scratch. but then you just giv it a cut and polish and it looks brand new again.

chris.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

Cheers for the info mooch, this is the first car I've painted by myself so I want to take in all the info I can get.

What sort of costs are involved with the Protec stuff ? Say for a 4 litre can of white and clear ?
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your info.
One other thing, can you get metallic in all 3 types?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

You get your depth from the clear, the more coats, the more depth. Obviously you have to block and polish it!

mooch
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Used for the right things they're all ok. Use ur 2k;s on the areas you cant polish, ie, door jambs suspension components, engine bays etc etc. Acrylic on the outsides and enamel on areas that you really want to hold on. like your drums anddiscs etc etc. As for ur manifolds, 2k will be ok if u etch prime the intake. Its alloy so i'd advise it. The exhaust, about the only thing that really looks good is hpc or ceramic coating. We used ceiling white once and that lasted for absolutly ages! Thats my next thing, hpc'd extractors - as obviously the exhaust is hotter than the intake.

Cheers
mooch
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: costs Reply with quote

lets see, the acrylic super clear which is pretty good shit, was about 17 bucks a litre!!! the car was painted in ppg 2k clear when it was first done and that was over 100 bucks/litre. Mate at the end of the day its in ur prep. As for colour it depends on what colour it is. ur white is a froup one, red is a group three. group ones i think are under 20 bucks/lite in acrylic, more in base coat. i had 1litre of my body colour mixed up in acrylic to paint the dash and that was 48bucks. its a group three.

cheers
mooch
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Acrylic Paint. Reply with quote

spiece hecker is a brilliant acylic paint but if your on a budget its not for you go for the cheaper generic brand (sorry mooch) protec which isnt bad value for money wise..

gees you guys have had some bad experiances with 2K havnt you, 2K is the best paint on the market, if painted right and polished at the right moment, and not left to dry too long, yes its hard to polish, 2K is a totally diferant ball park guys to polish, you need non silicon 2K polish with a foam pad (NOT WOOL) and a water sprayer and 2000 grit paper then turn the paper over on the non grit side and go over the whole area again then polish its simple..

dont use acyrilic polishes and pads and the same methods used on acylic on 2K it wont work..

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: