HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Poppin' exhaust..... --(MatMan)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:09 am    Post subject: Poppin' exhaust..... --(MatMan) Reply with quote

Hey guys, my TG Gem seems to be back firin' a bit and was wonderin if anyone can help me out. It pretty much always backfires when slowing down through the gears ( bit embarassing Smile and it does it a bit when I rev the engine then close the throttle. I know its not the exhaust/inlet manifold gaskets 'cause I got both replaced before(needed to when I got the car) so what could it be? Rich mixture? Lean mixture? Something else? I'm not much good at tuning cars Smile
Any help appreciated
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(Josh) Reply with quote

HaHaHa

I Take it you have the standard Carby?
Mine used to do that Before I bolted the Holley on
I recon it sounded good man, Like a rally car or something
Now it doesnt do it as much only when it is hot...

Don't stress about it, Just don't rev it before you turn the engine off or it can back fire and blow the muffler to the shit house as I found out

Josh (WA)
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(Sparrow) Reply with quote

yeah...

...mine backfires (burbles) when you come down through the gears and now it is even worse with the weber...
sometimes it sounds kinda cool...but most of the time it just pisses me off....live with it !!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(fastgem) Reply with quote

probably running lean. try turning the mixture screw on your carby anti clockwise half/full a turn and see if it makes a difference. May, may not. May need bigger jets if you have done a bit of work to your engine. Could be a different prob. maybe start with a set of new plugs if you havent serviced your engine for a while then get some tuning equipment and go to work.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

Sounds like your idle mixture is too lean. Most people lean it out to try and get that sound.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(blair) Reply with quote

i had this problem when i wacked on the webbers to my car. the exhaust couldnt handle the exess air/fuel mixture i was using with the ramflo air filter. i would suggest you change the exhaust with a 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch all the way throw also if you want it to sound louder put a screamer pipe or cut out the resinator... this should stop it. if not just take it to radiant exhaust or something like that.
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(MatMan) Reply with quote

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Poppin' exhaust..... --(MatMan) Reply with quote

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
TX III
petrol head

spewin!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: