HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Having fun removing doors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Having fun removing doors! Reply with quote

Hey boys,

I'm having a ball of a time removing front drivers side door. I'm using an ABW door pin puller and the bloody pins move about 1mm then stop dead.

Its almost like the pin has a nothc or something which is stopping it from coming out.

The door has never been off, so what I'm thinking is that due to the wear on the pin from the rotating hinges, the pin has a step worn into it and this step is catching on the hinge edge.

I have been bashing on it for an hour, and am bending the tool, so something is wrong.

Anyone have a similar trouble even with the right tool such as this??

Ben Wight
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Having fun removing doors! Reply with quote

i was slack got some one else to do it
apparently seach threw the forum coz there was a hole lot of posts deicated to this

anyway if all else fails get a angle grinder
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: HEHEH Reply with quote

me and yobbo has the best tool for the job! Smile as long as u are carfull no to scratch ya paint.
weld a " T " outta to long bolts (the right size to fit into the hinge) then sit it in the and hold one end and bash the cunt with a hamer Smile iv taken mu coupe doors off this way and all my sedan doors of on my old gem Very Happy
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HEHEH Reply with quote

yeah works like a dream but if u arent painting your car then uses pieces of cloth os u dont scratch your paint. And never never try to put em back in go out and buy bolts because i scratched up my new paint trying to put the cunts back in. o yeah chris illl find that tool for ya and it broke but i weilded it up for ya to
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: You too eh? Reply with quote

I've got the tool, I've been bashing for about 6 months now... still haven't made any progress... I'm leaning towards angle grinding the drivers door off...
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HEHEH Reply with quote

HAHAH yeah i broke it about 10 minutes b4 i can to drop it at your house lol. it brakes all the time
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: You too eh? Reply with quote

Yeah Been there, soak it in CRC, hit with the biggest hammer you can find and hit it hard,

if you grind them off you still have to remove the hindge 1/2 from the body, and if you cut the hindge on the body then the shell is stuffed,

soakit and hit the fk out of it, hit it as hard as possible and it will move,

cheers
Eggy
Neslo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HEHEH Reply with quote

yeh i gotta admit, removing doors are a cunt!! I never wanna have to do it again ay...i didnt have the tool, i just used a screw driver...flat head...worked ok..
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: You too eh? Reply with quote

damn....i've gotta put a new front door on next weeek, yay now i can't wait,;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!damnit
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You too eh? Reply with quote

I sprayed both upper and lower pin with lube and got the top one out cause I was hitting down hard. But the bottom one has to be done by pulling it out the top of the hinge, ie, hitting the pin removing tool from the bottom, which is very difficult to hit it hard and hold it at the same time.

Obviously it can be done though, so i'll find a way to hit it harder, and then install some bolts with nylocks.

Ben Wight
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: You too eh? Reply with quote

Yeah, I found putting the car up on ramps allow's a longer swing, and someone else holding the tool allows both hands to hit the fk out of it,

cheers
Eggy
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: You too eh? Reply with quote

could you not use a bottle jack or something and just use it like a press???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: