HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

running like shit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: running like shit Reply with quote

hey yal. having some problems and i hope someone can help. when i accelerate sometimes my engine starts to run rough as. the whole car shakes the taco goes spastic and it just splutters. also backfires through the carby. it keeps doing this till i put the clutch in and let the engine go right down to idle. anyone care to venture an opinion?
thanks
spud
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

umm your choke mite not be working propelry? or u mite just have to warm it up...
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

nah. does it even when car is at temp
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

u rebuilt the carb or removed the carb at any stage?
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

nope.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

check ure sparks and ure leads, try the coil aswell, also run some carby cleaner while revving over 10k.

chris.
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

forgot to mention. it is fine with no load. revs smothe as
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

Could be the fuel pump or fuel filter not letting enough fuel through
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

i have a simular prob...but only when the car is warm it has an intermitent miss every now and then.....then sometimes it just stalls all the time (and it an auto!!!) when i put it under load.... same deal thou revs fine when in neutral....and it almost stalls the i take off from a standing start....
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

My room-mate has the same prob at the moment (that's why i was fiddling with the mixtures to see if i could get it running a little better), she has been advised that she needs a $35 carby kit from Global Auto Spares to rectify the problem. Maybe you should give it a go with a good dose of carby cleaner and see what eventuates. Just a thought.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

thanks for the help everyone. i have put some carby cleaner in and some other stuff. is a lot better now but still not quite right. ah well im selling it soon ish anyway. thanks again
spud
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Try reseting your dwell angle... Reply with quote

My room-mate just got her Gem looked at, it had identical symptoms to yours and it ended up being that the points were too close together. It idles like it should and revs cleanly from the point you stab the throttle in all gears and neutral.
So in case you haven't, check your dwell angle/points gap and see what happens.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
superstardj18
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: running like shit Reply with quote

Try repalcing your points coz mine did exactly the same thing but when i replacwed the points eberything was fine and get the carby tuned as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: