HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ford nine inch diff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gemi1
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: ford nine inch diff Reply with quote

how hard is it to put a ford 9 inch diff in a gemini?? because i am hopefully going to be doing this in a couple of months??

reply if anyone knows laterz
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

I have a mate that is in the process of fitting a 3.8 V6 to his TF, he's also fitting a 9 inch. He has been quoted $1500 to have it converted and so far it's the lowest quote he has to date. I personally would go with the VL Borg Warner, it has a couple of ratios that make it appealing (not that the nine inch doesn't - it has something like half a dozen) for street or strip use, the L.S.D as fitted to the VL turbo is tuff as nails, lighter than a nine inch, and would use less mechanical energy resulting in a slightly higher horsepower figure at the treads. It's purely a personal preference, but if you want to go nine inch then go for it, it's reputation speaks for itself. But yeah, the point is he was quoted $1500 to have one fitted.
Jasyn...
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

just remember how ineficient and heavy the 9 inch is
gemi1
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

but i would put it in myself!! well not me a mate of my dads !! his pretty good at that kinda shit he drive a off road dirty buggy and he put a ford 9 inch diff centre in a 4 speed vw combie gearbox to make it stronger!!
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

unless you're going to massive amount sof power you're probably wasting your time and money with a 9 inch, they're too big and heavy for a 4 cyl, and like someone previously said they require more mechanical energy to turn resulting in power loss. I'd go the VL LSD also Smile
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

he put a ford 9 inch diff centre in a 4 speed vw combie gearbox to make it stronger!!
hhmmmm. ok??? even tho a gear box gear looks and does nothing like a diff gear, but any who...

9" , u cant get a 3" exhaust over the top of it in a gemini (ask eggy)
9" u will lose HP as the engins power is wasted trying to turn the fuckiing thing
9" to heavy and slow the car.
9" why bother when u can do a LV diff for 1/2 the $$$$
9" mate of mine just put one in his 13bt gemini (approx, 375 hp with 150hp jet of nos on top of it)
bit over board if u ask me
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

Well that takes care of that,

Yes Heavier,
Yes cannot fit 3inch pipe over
Yes if I could have got a Hilux centre fitted I would have considered it, but it was about 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

No it is not easy to fit due to the amount of manufacturing, because no other diff has the tourque tube of a Gem so you have to set up ladder bar's and mount them on the diff,to hold the diff in place, then you need to manufacture a cross member that will fit where the front mount of the gem diff fits, and attach the other end of the ladder bars to it, also you have to make a new 1 peice tallshaft, have brake cables and last of all you have to change the stud pattern back to 4x100mm, if you can get that all done for $1500 plus part, that is cheap, I paid about $2500, drive in drive out reco LSD centre,

end of the day it looks good and works very well. and it has now been fitted to 2 gems as the design of the setup allows no modifications to the Gem, so I can remove and refit to any T series Gem, coupe / PV / Sedan.
gemi1
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

how much is the Vl lsd ??????????/
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

$50 Fitting $20, drive in drive, just chat to ya mates.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

personally I would be using a hilux diff as they are a 31 spline axle from STD weigh half as much as a 9 inch, there for the V6 wouldnt be working as hard to pull the arse end..

or as goldTX said use a borg warner diff
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

hahahahahahaha. good response
gemi1
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

how much ???????? seriouly
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

Have to agree... you can't half tell it is bloody school holidays...
gemi1
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

YEAH MAD HELPING AND SHIT !!!!!!
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9 inch Reply with quote

VL LSD, you can purchase new? second hand? reco? do you want it fitted, what gear ratio do you want? Your in BNE I'm in Melb, not everyone can give you prices, as we all do not have a price list infront of us, how about getting on the phone to your local commo wrecker or diff reco'er and finding out just how much it will cost you, you have gained knowledge from us that has informed you that a 9 inch is not the easiest option, and been advised that a VL LSD will fit, what fkn more do you expect this info is free, and now it is up to you to do research in your local area,

Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: