HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cold Air Induction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Cold Air Induction Reply with quote

just looking at pics of CRAFTS car and he did have a cold air induction system hooked up to his twin webbers. ive gotta 32/36 webber and i was thinking of do this but is it really worth it??? and is it legal???and since my webber isnt side draft, how would i attach the box around the webber. has any of u gem freeks done this before???
Gemsta
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Air Induction Reply with quote

Where abouts is crafts car in the gallery?
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Air Induction Reply with quote

its not. i just checked out his site

http://www.doghouse.gronks.com/The%20Gem.htm
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Air Induction Reply with quote

gdy, if u can weld, plate up the sides of ur aftermarket 1.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Air Induction Reply with quote

Mooch
backyard mechanic

Mooch
backyard mechanic

Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: read this 1 lol Reply with quote

gdy, if u can weld, plate up the sides of ur aftermarket aircleaner. then on the front drill a 2" or so hole with a hole saw, and weld on a 1" piece of 2" or so exhaust tubing (aka exhorst) and then go to rice barn and buy some CAI piping, make it fit, and there ya go. weld on the inside, and use seam sealer in there so u dont have to seam weld it. bit of a grind, prime it, and a smick coat of paint, voilas!

i think that would work, i dunno, neva done it!

cheers
mooch
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: read this 1 lol Reply with quote

hey i was thinking of doing it with the old air filter just move the battery and conmnect a hose onto the snout of the big arse air cleaner and the pipe will go to that hole near the radiator
do you think this will make any difference
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Cold Air induction?/RAMPODS HOW TO FIT?/Webbers??? Reply with quote

it would probably shove alot more air in, and make a little difference, but whether it would be noticable i have no idea...
how else can u attach the ram pods??? moochs idea is pretty good, but he hasnt put it in to practice, there are so many gems that have ram pods...SOMEONE TELL US HOW THEY DID IT!!!

also another thing to ask... The webbers off falcons, like XF's , do they fit on a 1600 and wat type of webber is it, can u fit a ram pod on to these!?!?!!? and how???
wat would i have to do to fit 2 ram pods??? (just a crazy idea i've got in my head!)

Thanks
Adrian
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Air induction?/RAMPODS HOW TO FIT?/Webbers??? Reply with quote

cant remember the exact figures but for every 4 degrees cooler the air is goin in the carb you gain a percent or two of your power. colder air is denser.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Air induction?/RAMPODS HOW TO FIT?/Webbers??? Reply with quote

I've seen a custom one made up for a 2.6 rodeo turbo motor in a gem.

It was basically just a custom pipe that had been made up with a pod filter on the end.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My $5 cold air set-up Reply with quote

I have a 'backyard' cold air set-up on my TX, I was at the wreckers one day and noticed a shit load of bits n peices of air-con ducting sitting in the back seat of a wreck. I bought a few lengths of it for 5 bucks, it came in all sorts of bent and straight configurations so i had a look in my engine bay to see what would fit best. I have one length duct taped to the snorkel on my stock air cleaner unit, it bends nicely toward the radiator side of the battery, then i have another length duct taped to it that is snaked in behind the battery and fits perfectly into the hole where i removed one of my horns. The ducting is ribbed and black so i used black duct tape to make it look reasonable & tidy. As far as a power gain is concerned, i only really noticed a slight improvement over 80k/ph or so - on the highway it's noticably smoother. I should also point out that i fitted a better aftermarket air filter as well in the standard air cleaner unit. It must look at least reasonable, as i was pulled over about 6 months ago for a random under bonnet inspection. And the copper going over it complimented me on how nice and tidy it looked.
So, for 5 bucks and 5 mins work with a roll of duct tape, a cold air set-up is a peice of proverbial.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
CRAFT
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Air induction?/RAMPODS HOW TO FIT?/Webbers??? Reply with quote

Yo,
I'm glad you like the setup. It was fairly easy to do but took a fair bit of testing on the dyno to see if it worked. In the end I can say that it did increase horse power slightly because all the cold air was being sucked through the front of the car instead of hot air from the engine bay. Basically a scoop would do the same thing for you if you didn't want to go to the trouble that I did. I wanted to keep my car sleek looking and didn't want a scoop so that was how I got around. Apart from horse power the air is cleaner how ever I did find the air cleaner probably got dirty quicker as it was picking up all bugs and road dirt. Not a big deal though as a quick clean and it was as good as new. If you want any more details about the setup let me know. As a point I changed the intake pipe after those photo's were taken to a 3 inch exhaust pipe which made a big difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: