HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

okay im stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: okay im stuck Reply with quote

having done adams mods for more camber and new ball joints. im stuck. anyune got ideas or anything about new wishbones? anyone made any?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

I dont understand why you would want to change your wishbones, unless they are damaged.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

i want to change the front wishbones to make the car lighter and get more negative camber. As the car is purely racing i would like some more camber.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

What about slotting the hole that ball joints bolt in???

I haven't done this, and already have about -1.75 degrees each side simply from the lowered springs and having the ball joints mounted in the correct way. If you slot the holes, I dont see why you couldn't get at least 5 degrees, or more if you wanted. How much do you want anyway?

Ben Wight
darla
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

have down that im after about 4 degrees negative camber and in the rule book states i can make custom bits bu must use origanal mounting holes.

i think i might go with wat i have done for now

TXcoupe
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

You may want to get this point clarified.

First of all, if you make a custom control arm and mount it to the original holes, the original ball joint holes are in the old control arm, so you cant mount them in the new one, right?

If you drill new holes in the custom control arm, then they are not original holes, right?

If you slot the original holes, are they still the original holes?

If you slot the original holes, and then weld up the original hole side of the slot leaving the newly slotted original hole, and then grind and paint so no-one could ever tell, are you still using the original holes? If not, who could say otherwise without paint strippiny your control arms?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

good point ben
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

Im not sure if this is possible but could you get control arm bushes with an offset centre hole and install them so you get increased camber
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

slotting the locating holes will gain some. Also try locating balljoint from beneath upper arm. This will make top arm more horizontal, as suspension is compressed negative camber will come on quicker.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

I assume you gain negative camber when compressing the suspension due to the distance from the pivot bushes to the ball joint is shorter for the top control arm, than for the bottom.

If this is so, and you put the ball joint on the bottom of the top control arm, making the arm more horizontal as you have described, wouldn't this give you less static negative camber but the same rate of dynamic negative camber as the suspension compresses??

Ben Wight
oldfart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: okay im stuck Reply with quote

why dont yu ring rocket industries they do alot of work like that or one of the companies in the sport utility mags
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: