HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

MOOCH mobile update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

Thought i'd give yas a bit of an update as to where the mooch mobile is at. Theres about 5 weeks to the show now!

So far the flames are done on the bonnet and guards in blue pearls, our trial runs showed the blue looked best. We've applied 11 coats of acrylic clear over the whole car. I'll never use 2k on the outsides again. For sure on the insides though! Once thats gone off for another 2 or so weeks we'll start blocking to polish. Hornet scoop is being prepped for flames atm.

The engine bay has been started and we've decided to rework it abit. fix up the dryness up the top edge of the firewall near the hinges, fill in all the holes, get rid of the washer bottle and relay box (sealed electrical box though) to under the guards. etc etc re-base coat, 2k clear.

The dash is done with extra pearl highlights here and there, the console has flames, new front carpet, new rubbers, some new trim wk out back. Lots left to do like get a motor rebuilt and in yet. as well as detail and scrupiously clean the whole car.

I have photos coming very shortly. I'll keep yas posted.

Cheers
mooch
www.geocities.com/mygemi
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

good to hear that things are progressing nicely!

u still riding shotgun for the cruise or have you got that show meeting to go to?

catch up with ya at some stage...

cheeeers,
kevin owen
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

Car sounds sick mooch,
why will you never use 2 pac on the outside again??
just interested mate.

Simmo.
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

mooch your cars a god.
im about to purchase my first car (GEMI) of course and yeah ur cars an ispiration i dont mean to suck ya dick but if i got my car looken as mad as urs id be one happy man
cheers
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

hey thanx guys. helps to know that people also appreciate the work that goes into a car. Cheers.

Kev, probably wont be able to cruise, i mite cruise up to the start off point for 1/2hr to see who turns up. Have to cruise the mazda up. Smile I have that meeting thing.

I said that i would never use 2k on the outsides because, and theres a few reasons. When u spray for good coverage, and put a few coats on, u get a bit of peel. Sure some good painters can it pretty flat, but not good enough. Its fine on a production car (ie: gmh etc) or on a standard respray. The beauty of it is that with a couple of coats u can get a good finish and not have to polish for gloss. Any decent paint job will be rubbed and polished after. Has anyone ever blocked back 2k? properly? its a bitch, and to get a wet lok gloss back is even worse. took 1 solid week of blocking on the gem. then it took a good 3 times with the buff over the whole car to bring it up. It was good enuf to win trophies but it wasnt as crisp as we'd like.

If you get a scratch its a bitch to polish out as its very hard finish. That said, it actually scratches easier. To keep it looking schmik is hard work. Acrylic, blocks with 1500, nicely, and comes up deep as hell with a cleaner polish. No cutters. use a foam pad, no cutter and keep ur scratches out! Acrylic rocks. a scratch can be hand polished out. The depth is waaayyyy better. Having had 2 black 2k cars, both with show type finish, i know from experience.

Door jambs and the bay, use 2k clear. No polishing required. Hit it with the buff to denib, and done. Wet look shine. You only need two coats of 2k clear on the bay anyway. 4 coats of acrylic is equal to about 2 of 2k anyway. 2k is a thicker system.

cheers
mooch
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: MOOCH mobile update Reply with quote

+1 for Mooch Smile
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2K not all that bad Reply with quote

hey moochy baby man you really have a problem against 2K. mine is done in 2K, but then again im a firm believer of you get what you pay for.. i never polished mine for 3 years and sure was a little tuffer to polish but came up like a mirror wasnt as hard as your saying and I had no peal in my paint even before the polish but again you get what you pay for, and by all means this is not a dig at you i mean I judged your car at the show I know how nice it is BUT Im just letting the guys know in here that there are many types of 2K on the market and you get what you pay for there not all bad, but if your doing a home job then best you stick with acylic, and if your spending the cash and can afford a booth with a good painter then go 2K..

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: