HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Radiator overflow positions/ is it needed??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Radiator overflow positions/ is it needed?? Reply with quote

Hey,
is the radiator overflow bottle needed. On my TG there is one but on my TE there isnt. Do i need it? (i heard u need it to drag race??) If i do need it where is a good place to mount it (ie out of the way as it adds to the mess in the engine bay which im trying to clean up)
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator overflow positions/ is it needed?? Reply with quote

neither of my gems have em. if you do put one on thought there is space under where the battery goes
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator overflow positions/ is it needed?? Reply with quote

An overflow bottle is really only necessary if you have a 'recovery type' radiator cap. Check the writing on the top of the cap to see if it says 'Use with recovery system'. I'm almost positive that there is a recovery cap availiable that was meant for the TG, i found one in the catalogue while searching for the replacement part no. for my TX.
The recovery type cap has an extra small pressure loaded spring and diaphram type plug that opens under vaccum in your cooling system. When the water in the radiator heats up, it creates pressure wich forces water out the overflow tube and into the bottle (or onto the road if no recovery bottle is fitted). When the coolant/water cools, it contracts creating a vacuum in the cooling system. If a recovery type cap is fitted, then the coolant from the overflow bottle can be recurculated back into the radiator reducing the need to top your level up evey so often. It also helps your radiator dissipate heat more efficiently as more coolant stays in your system for longer.
The only reason why an overflow bottle is an A.N.D.R.A requirement, is to stop any type of lubricant from making it's way onto the track - at 130mph anything including a light trail of water can cause your car to become unstable.
As far as where to mount it, they're pretty ugly looking things. So you could either paint it up to look nicer, or you could go to the expense of fitting a custom alloy one. Or you could chuck it.
macca_loto
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator overflow positions/ is it needed?? Reply with quote

Hey i got a Tg and i got no radiator overflow bottle. All mine is, is a piece of tubing that goes from the raditaor overflow and is clipped th the radiator and runs down the side of the radiator and when it overflows it just goes out onto the road.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TG Recovery type cooling system Reply with quote

My brothers G/F had an SL/X TG with a recovery type system fitted. It looked totally stock, as if it hadn't been modified that way during it's life. Maybe it depends on what year model TG or type it is... I'm about 99% positive that i saw a part no. in the catalogue for the TG that was different from the others, and when i had a squizz at it i noticed it was a recovery type cap. That's what made me remember it, being a little puzzled that a recovery type cap was fitted to a Gemini. Then i remembered her Gem had the overflow bottle and appropriate cap. If i'm down a Super Cheap or Cheapa Auto's again, i'll have another look to be 100%.
Jasyn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: