HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

big cam question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: big cam question Reply with quote

say if i was running a cam with 497 thou lift and 297 degree duration would it be best if i ran a dubble row timing chain or would the a new single one be adiquite,

if i install a dubble row chain i beleave there is some grinding involved.. what do i have to grind to fit it?

would this size cam be to large 4 road use or what do u rekon?

one more----

if i ran that cam in a fully balanced and rebuilt 1800 bored 60 thou with a 350 holly
how much fuel would that suck?
if i ran the car economicaly would i still get about 10-13L per100km?

cheers Smile
cheers
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: big cam question Reply with quote

oh yeh and will i have to run electronic ignition with the 1800 and would i have do anything/make mods to the distributor if i was to use the big cam.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: big cam question Reply with quote

As far as grinding anything, a mate of mine with extensive experience on Gemini's once told me that to run a decent double row timing chain, you need to grind the inside of the timing case almost paper thin. Otherwise your sprockets will rub on it. Maybe look at getting the 'Crow' single row heavy duty performance item at approx. $130.
On a personal note, i wouldn't use a carby as big as a 350 Holley. Unless you plan on going ballistic with the engine, It would most likely need to be jetted right down to avoid flooding itself from time to time. If you prefer a Holley over a Webber, the 32/36 equivalint is the 180 Holley. You can play with the jet sizes just like with the Webbers to get the most efficient/powerful set-up you want or need.
Just a thought.
Jasyn...
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: big cam question Reply with quote

i have the cam ur on about. i run a vernir cam gear timing set and a single row timing chain as the engine builder couldnt get a double row timing chain. but i would recommend getting the double row timing chain.
i had thicker gaskets to fit the double row timing chain and it had minor maching. this was the a small amount removed from the water jacket and the bolt holes on the head
slotted so they bolted up to the timing cover holes.
i run twin webers on it aswell and on my old engine i got about 350km's to 52L so i would say 10L to a 100K is pretty good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: