HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Bumpers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Bumpers Reply with quote

The bumpers on my gem are a bit crappy.I don't really want to shell out for all new ones so I was thinking of giving them a coat of paint.

The look I want to achieve is the grey/silver look that a lot of more modern cars have. If you've ever seen Bruce Smiths blue supercharged TD wagon you'll know what I mean. The bumpers look really nice.

Could I just buy some of that chrome coloured paint (silver), prep well and spray with that and a good clearcoat ?

Anyone tried this ? Any advice on how to achieve a good result ?
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

the bars on my tf are colour coded. i rubbed them down with prepsol(wax/grease remover) given them a few good coats of this spray on stuff, you can buy from supercheap, it prepares the bars to take the paint your about to wack on.

if you dont do this, i'm told that if/when the paint cracks, at highway speeds it gradually flakes and peels itself off. just ask at your local supercheap or something. i cant remember the name of the shit, but surely someone here knows what its called.

more importantly do you have plastic bars or early model chromies? i have a really good article from an old street machine magazine, on how to achieve that billet alloy look that bruce smith and others have gone for too, if you've got early bars...

hope this helps... greg.
Neslo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

I got chrome bumpers on my TE, could u please send me the article - neslo_69@hotmail.com
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

Yes I have the older style chrome bumpers. The billet alloy look you were talking about before is exactly what I want to achieve.

Could you send me the article (scan it in and email) please, I would really appreciate it, if possible.

orca@iweb.net.au

Cheers.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

tx coupe and tc sedan so i would like a look at the article too..

byteme22@optushoe.com.au
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpers Reply with quote

yeah could i grab the article to if its not to much worry
thanx mate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: