HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

QLD engine conversion guidelines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: QLD engine conversion guidelines Reply with quote

I rang the QLD D.O.T about conversions of larger engine capacity's to a vehicle, and this is the info i got. I thought it would be usefull to share this for people undertaking engine conversions in Queensland. I should also point out that this information refers only to a "4 cylinder" car.

For a vehicle that is naturally aspirated as standard, and has a total weight of 1100kg or LESS, the formula is...
Vehicle weight in kg's X's 3
e.g TX sedan approx. 950kg's X 3 = 2850cc = 2.8litre max.

For a vehicle that is naturally aspirated as standard, and has a total weight of 1100kg or MORE, the formula is...
Vehicle weight in kg's X's 4.82
e.g TX sedan approx. 950kg's X 4.82 = 4579cc = 4.6litre max.

For a vehicle that is naturally aspirated as standard, and a forced induction type engine is fitted.
If the total weight is 1100kg or LESS, the formula is...
Vehicle weight in kg's X's 2.5
e.g TX sedan approx. 950kg's X 2.5 = 2375cc = 2.4litre max.

For a vehicle that is naturally aspirated as standard, and a forced induction type engine is fitted.
If the total weight is 1100kg or MORE, the formula is...
Vehicle weight in kg's X's 4
e.g TX sedan approx. 950kg's X 4 = 3800cc = 3.8litre max.

I was told that if a higher capacity engine was fitted than these, it would not be worth the head-ache. As an approved engineer would have to scrutineer every milimetre of the vehicle, this would have to be done after every modification to meet the safety and legal standards, and the 'red tape' involved would take approx. 6-12 months. In which time your money would have been better spent elsewhere on a more legal conversion that could be driven on the street alot more quickly.

Cheers,
Jasyn...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: QLD engine conversion guidelines Reply with quote

u didnt need to do the sums for the 1100kg or more bit?? heheh
anyways. does this mean it still has to be a 4 cylinder or can u go into a 6 cyl? eg. vg20et 2 liter V6 turbo???
gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: VG20ET Gem = Legal, but... Reply with quote

My initial question for him was, "Can i legally put an RB25DET in a 180SX ?" His response was what i stated in the post. So legally, yes... A VG20ET can be fitted to a Gem. He pointed out that as long as the complete brake system from master, booster, rotors, calipers and so forth were fitted either from the donor engines vehicle (would be the most encouraged) or better.
Jasyn...
P.S Dont be afraid to ring these guys for info, he was more than happy to help. He also pointed out that it was about time younger people were asking this sort of advice from a professional before jumping too far ahead of themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: