HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Front Springs --(Mr Henderson)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 2:01 am    Post subject: Front Springs --(Mr Henderson) Reply with quote

I made the mistake of trying to replace the lower control arm on my gemini, which of course involves taking out the front spring, now of course I understand what the wrecker meant when he said "it is the single worst job on a gemini" how am I supposed to get the spring back in??????
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(Dustin) Reply with quote

This is a prick of a job i had the use of a press at work
so i put the spring under it and got to bits of 16 mm all thread with 2 bit of flat that have holes in them and when the sring was compressed i just put these clamps on it was enoph to get the sring back in
u can do a similar thing but just wind the nuts on the all thread and then cut the excess thread off because it will hang in the way

have fun mate
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(Mr Henderson) Reply with quote

Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

Its not that hard. Once you have bolted on the new lower control arm, dont do the nut up tight just yet. Try an lever the spring into position whilst the lower control arm is just dangling down. Once the spring pops in after some leverage with somthing like a crowbar, use a jack and jack up the lower control arm to compress the spring. once it is compressed the correct amount, bolt your ball joint together to you stud axle and then tighten the bolt on the lower control arm. Obviously I am assuming you are trying to get springs that are at least 2 inches shorter than normal back into the car. Why would anyone want to put a standard size gemini spring back into a gemini?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Yes, I did indeed put standard height springs in my gemini, new king uprated king springs, but standard height, firstly my driveway means I either need standard height springs or comprehensive underbody bash panels, secondly my father was paying and after years of rallying he is a firm believer in the value of ride height and well it is his money. Finally if I lowered my gemini I would do it properly as I am a handling fanatic born and bred, which would oblige me to buy an adjustable panhard rod and some whiteline shims to suit, or just make up some of my own.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(Ben Wight) Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the shims you mentioned. What are they and what do they adjust.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Springs --(progem) Reply with quote

Buy some spring compressers from rocca bros or repco which ever you choose compress the springs as much as you can then you get your old wire coat hanger cut to desired length wrap around the tightest binding of the spring and twist together do this in two spots then slowly undo the spring compressor and bobs your uncle your left with a coiled up spring and it should just fall in place put your lower arm up bolt it all together then with side cutters cut the wire and finished...www.geocities.com/pro350gemini
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: