HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

EFI Tuning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

Looks like my computer on my gem is fucked. A new one is being put in but its gonna have to be tuned again. The unit will just be a standard pulsar/camira one (same as I was running before).

Can I just take my car to a normal mechanic who does EFI tuning to do this ? I'm not looking for a huge high performance tune, just reliability and economy really (its only a street car). Although I've heard the 2.0 Camira settings are pretty close to a g200 gem. True ?

How much am I looking at to get the computer tuned for a g200 dohc as above ?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

How do you know your current pulsar computer is shagged?

Would it be possible to put the chip from your current computer into your new one, hence no need to retune?

If you need a retune, you need a workshop that can burn delco chips, or has kalmaker software. start ringing around.

Ben Wight
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

How do you know your current pulsar computer is shagged?

Would it be possible to put the chip from your current computer into your new one, hence no need to retune?

If you need a retune, you need a workshop that can burn delco chips, or has kalmaker software. start ringing around.

Ben Wight
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

It's being worked on by a guy in the know and hes tried a lot of things to get the car running.

It may be possible to take the chip from the old computer.. hopefully.

I take it the regular old mechanical service (who do EFI tuning) guys can't tune these ? Seems weird since its a stock computer.

Arghh.. my next engine will be carby ! haha
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

Mad delco disease?

(Where the large chips get intermittent connections from dry joints onto the PCB)
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

Corrosion !

The previous owner didn't look after the car and moisture got into the harness. No good.

The dude working on it attempted recoing the computer but couldn't get it properly working.

Anyone know if its possible to remove the chip with the programming info and put it in another unit to save the costly retune ?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Tuning Reply with quote

The average mechanic matains the vehicle, a piece of code on a memory chip needs no maintenance, so the mechanics dont need to know anything about it.

The manufacturer programs the chip to suit the engine, since the engine never changes (not from the manufacturers point of view anyway) then the program never needs to change, so once again, a mechanic has no need to touch it.

I have never had a delco. so I dont know if you can swap chips, buy I do know you can buy chips, so it must be removable.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: