HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

emissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: emissions Reply with quote

how hard is it to get a car off an emissions defect in adelaide. i have been told it can be very hard and very pricey. if this is true i think i might just buy a new body and start over puttting all my crap into it.

cheers
josh
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

if ur only gunna transfer all your running gear into a new body don't you think the emmissions will be exactly the same and therefor defectable again???

sorry if i misunderstood what u are planning to do!

cheers

NeWaZ
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: huh? Reply with quote

Mate your body has nothing to do with your emissions levels!

According to ADR 26A, regarding emmissions. You would have to re-fit your standard canshaft if applicable, carby with all emissions gear and air filter (or run your crank ventilation into your airfilter. Depending on your model gemini you may have to fit the air pump back on, the egr system etc etc. Your exhaust system doesnt affect emmissions if it is in good condition. Carby jetting also will need to be checked with an 02 sensor. Places like ultratune have emissions dyno's - get them to run it on the rollers.

Cheers
Mooch
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: also Reply with quote

If your running your car on ULP or PULP then you dont need to fit a cat. Pre 86(ish) vehicles- but all RWD Geminis models anyway atleast, dont need to fit a cat if running ULP type fuels unless an engine from a ULP car is fitted.

eg. Gemini with an SR20 = cat fitted
Gemini with Gxxx = no cat to be fitted.

Just noted your name, so you would have to add all the pollution gear to your car that gemini's had lol.

Have fun
Mooch
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

i know it would be defectable but you get that with twin dellorotos. I have never even driven a gemini that would be completly undefectable and i have driven a few.
josh
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: also Reply with quote

cheers for that. Its the green TC that was out on the last cruise to bird wood. Looks like it wont be goin to victor but I will still be on it in another TF.

Cheers
josh
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: huh? Reply with quote

don't you mean ADR 27 regarding emmissions and the revison ADR 27a effective from 07/76 onwards regarding the EGR.....
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: yeop, ur right Reply with quote

indeed you are right. poor typing skills on my part byteme. thanx dude.

Cheers
Mooch
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: isnt it the other way around Reply with quote

If you are running leaded petrol u dont net a cat convervter but its u are running ULP you do
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: you're not listening Reply with quote

i'll try explain it better then:

i have a gemini say, and i wish to run unleaded fuel in it. I do not need a cat. I swap my G series motor for a late model, injected motor that came out in a car running ULP, then i do need a cat.

If your vehice was fitted with a cat and you remove it, it's illegal. If it wasnt, you dont change motor, and the motor you DO have is capable of running ULP type fuels, then you DONT need a cat.

Confused?
Good
Source: SA TAC. April 2002

Cheers
Mooch
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it works in SA, but I assume you either have to:

1. Got to a licenced exhaust emmisions tester and get a test done. If you are over, you can tune your engine to be under. If you have to pay someone to do it, it wont be that expensive, they are only mechanics and probably charge $60 an hour or something, the job would probably take 10 minutes.

2. Get a Road Worth Certificate, which would involve an engineers reports if the mehcanic wasn't satisfied that your engine would meet emmisions standards in its current state of tune. If you have done something crazy to the engine, then you will need a full ADR emmisions test, which is around $700. If you have simply fitted a carburettor from another engine, similar in size and power output, that originally met the same ADR requirements that you have, most likely ADR 27 and its derivatives, then you dont have any probs.

I dont really see what the hassle is though, why not bolt a Nikki on, get it tested, see you later.

Ben Wight
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: yeop, ur right Reply with quote

lol
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

its all just crap that i have been told by people who know people that have had to do it before and not actually knowing yourself. You know how it works

cheers
josh
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

I don't know if it is much different here in Oz, but theoretically I can soup up a 2L with a blower or anything of that ilk, run an EFI computer setup on a lean setting and pass that side of things without needing to resort to pollution gear crap?

This is based on an 82 TF. I suppose I am going to hit a wall when I try to register a forced 2L aren't I, or is that ok? Am I better off fishing around for a 1.8 to force?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: emissions Reply with quote

You can do exactly that, the emmisions gear is the settings of the computer.

You still need however a cat converter, and the fuel sytem cant vent to the atmosphere.

The only down side is that a full emmisions test costs around $1000. Add that to the cost of an engineers certificate, and its expensive.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: