HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

all this talk about the lowering and cut springs is making me nervous. mine are cut (not by me) and it handles cool and doesn't scrub with three ppl. in the back. wheels are 7" wide. but i am worried about the insurance-registration thing!!!! can anyone clarify the rules about cut springs for me and others and the consequences if i am caught. the $150 set of peddars from a friend is sounding better all the time so i think i will get the money and buy them.

baz
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

yeah man i hate driving around with that feeling "my car is dodgy"

just get the springs put them in and forget about them springs last for ages and will give u better handling and still drop it to make it look sweet.
TD Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

yeah gotta get the dosh. at the moment can get done for the tinted windows, suspension, the extremely dodgy steering rack with no rubbers or anything, frayed seatbelts and the seat attachments being rusted out. so shes all good and safe in my gem.
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

good old gems
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

y bother about your springs then???? thers no better feeling then cruising around getting looks from people and getting chicks becasue your car is on its guts. Buy stonger springs and chop chopp chop
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

yeah real helpful advice there...
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

1) Chopped springs are completeley illegal
2) Chopped springs will instantly void your insurance
3) Chopped springs are dangerous

Need any more reasons?

4) Your car does not handle cool, especially when you put it up against a car with legitimately lowered suspension

Save your money and get a decent set of springs Smile The consequences of getting caught by the authorities are far less than the consequences of chopped springs causing an accident.

Speaking from personal experience, they don't help handling. Sure they lower the car, but you lose the progressive take up and comfort. This is worse in the wet, chopped springs provide zero grip, you just aquaplane (as you may have noticed). 7 inch wide rears won't help in the wet anyway IMHO.

Springs will affect your safety more than anything, do them properly Smile
LOERYDA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then Reply with quote

yeh its fuked up, chopping ur springs and lowering ur gem more than 30mm will make everything viod. I dont even know what to do myself.

Jas
macca
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: OH DEAR-i think i'm in trouble then/Benjamin Reply with quote

Ben I agree with everything you said except the comment
about the wheels I have 17x7 with gt radials and they
are excellent in the wet and dry but I also have replaced
all my suspension.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: