HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

15inch SUBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

what is the best way to position a 15" sub in the boot of a sedan gemini
is it best pointing towards petrol tank or end of car?
any info from ppl who have a awesome set up will be appreciated

steve
TD Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

i would say away cos the petrol tank will resonate and give you shit sound so unless you want to move you tank under the car then away is the go.
hope i helped

baz
Klown
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

if u really wanted to and u had the resources and time the best thing you could do is take the tank out of the boot and make a droptank like the one in the workshop section. this will get rid of the tank and provide more space for the sub/s and it wont sound shit coz theer is no tank in front of it. a mate of mine fitted 4 15 inch subs just by doing that.
TD Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

wow cool. got a pic?
i want to see how its done
Klown
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

nah man sorry i dont got no pics but it explains it in the workshop area under body and you should find it there. have fun
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

do a search on 'subs' trust me you will find a shitload

but i'll write it anyways

the petrol tank wont do shit to the volume or sound, the sound quality itsself is more likely to get squelched by your nice soft sound absorbant foam back seats that your fuel tank

so apart from the real estate it takes up i wouldnt bother
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 15inch SUBS Reply with quote

the petrol tank issue is easy to overcome to those people who think that it does effect your sound quality, yes i am one of those people...

easiest way is to remove any speakers in the parcel shelf, leaving 2 big "ports" and cover them with speaker grilles.

if rear speakers are nessesary then cut another "illegal" hole in your shelf, once again disguise with speaker grille.

bare in mind these hints ive given are low budget hints.
if you have the money for a beasty 15" sub then i dare say you would probably have the money to re-locate your petrol tank.... but anyway hope that helped in some way!!

cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: 15inch SUBS- A little lesson in sound Reply with quote

the port idea is good, i will try that myself as my 8in's in the back aren't doing anything at the moment any way,

my 15in is pointed towards the back, the biggest problem i've found is not the fuel tank resonating but everything else, as u would know gem's by now have loose things everywhere, doorhandles, fuel flaps, plastic covers, panels etc etc the list goes on, all of these vibrate to the shit house, and when u have ur sub on just loud enough to make you feel it a bit, if u r outside the car the car just seems like it is "buzzing", i'm going to move the fuel tank anyway, but not for sound quality...
BASS is non directional anyway it won't really matter which way it is pointing, it may seem a little louder pointed at you but bass will travel anywhere and through things like seats and panels, it is only high frequencies that are effected by things in the way as they tend to bounce off things and that y u don't put tweeters in the boot , makes sense hey!!!
hope i explained everything with the long long post

Adrian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: