HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

threaded bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: threaded bolts Reply with quote

ive taken out 8 of the head bolts but there are 2 left and they are threaded i dont know how im gona take em off neither do i no how im gona take the sprket bolt off coz they are 2 tite the more force i use its starts 2 thread is there a toold that will remove the cam sprocket bolt without threadin and to remove the head bolts?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

If the bolt is threaded, ie it spins but doesn't undo, then you should be able to yank it out with a pair of pliers or vice grips. Maybe you have a different idea of what threaded means. I have never had a bolt stuff up whilst trying to take it out.

Unless you mean the allen key is lipping inside the head of the bolt. Then you are in trouble. I dont know what you can do if you cant undo the bolt. You could go the next size up allen key and hammer it in.

Are you sure you are using the right size metric allen keys and sockets? You shouldnt have that much trouble.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

Hiya Ben,

Upon reading his post I formed the conclusion that he means he is rounding off the head of the bolt, or the inside of the allen key.

Egge,

Am I correct in my assertion? I would normally use 'threaded' to refer to a bolt where the thread has been stripped off, very similar to and sometimes interchangable with 'cross-threaded' where the bolt has been fitted incorrectly (at a slight angle etc) and will have damaged the thread.

This is different to rounding off the head of a hex or in-hex bolt, which is where the tool (spanner or allen key) slips damaging the fastener.

As ben mentioned, make sure you are using the right tool and be very careful with how you use it.
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

If the allen key, or hex bit is slipping then you are rooted, i did this once and it took me months to geet it out, i tried drilling it out, and jamming larger allen keys in and cutting a groove in the head. Eventually i welded a cheap allen key in and used a trolley pole for leverage unfortunately i also warped the head in the process.

Good Luck, Simmo.
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

im using a 10 mm for the head nuts when i mean threaded its not that threaded like it has 2 mm free play it grips but the more force the more it will thread i think what about using air tools? and simmo how did ur head warp how many nuts did u have trouble with? these two head bolts have jammed in i used the same force on the other bolts and they undon and for the sprocket bolt wats the best tool?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

There are only nuts on the rocker shafts, all the rest are bolts. (or maybe cap screws in the case of the head bolts).

You didn't define what you meant by threaded!

If you cant spin the bolt, but the tool spins, you are rounding out the hex recess in the top of the head bolt. A good way to fix this like simmo said would be to buy a cheap allen key, chop it, and weld it into the bolt. If you do it slowly, it shouldn't warp the head.

If the head bolt spins but wont come out, then it is threaded. In this case, you have to pull whilst undoing somehow.

For camshaft sprocket bolt, try a rattle gun. Or use something to put through the gear and jam it onto the head so the gear cant spin. Then use a normal ratchet or bar. If the socket is slipping, then try a large ring spanner.
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

the best tool for head bolts is a good quality 10 mm hex bolt socket - like an allen key with a socket fitting on it (mines kincrome). Couple this with a nice long torque wrench. More leverage is better than more force (eg the longer the handle on your ratchet the better)

Good luck, Simmo.
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: threaded bolts Reply with quote

yeah i mixed up my terms there 4 a sec its the allen key that is eating away the mouth of the bolt but i will try what u guys have told me and see where i am from der thanx for ur help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: