HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

WHAT makes a exelent bottom end?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

im lookin at rebuilding my engine, i wanna make a bloody boolet proof bottom end, whats the best parts to use and what work is to be done , any suggestions 4 buliding a good bottom end?
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

haha. this is from an arm chair rebuilder lol. Balance of course, and blue print. A high volume oil pump seems to be recommended due to troubles with #3. Some even cross-drill the main bearing journals to help oil flow. High tension bottom end bolts (3/8 inch 190000psi). Some say grinding cast marks off rods and shot peening them. O-ring the block and copper headgasket.
cheers
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

If you o-ring it do you still need to run the copper headgasket? Why o-ring it then, please explain?? - and I was told that running a CDT head also eliminates the need for a copper head gasket cause the compression is lowered by the design of the head, is this true too??? AND CuGem can you tell me more about the problems you referred to with number three and how a high volume oil pump fixes this - I've got (and always had) a nocking noise coming from #3 and it's got me farked why!!!
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

the first line of my post was my exit clause! I've seen engine rebuilders use both o-ring and copper hg with high compression. #3 can suffer lack of oil at hi rpms and the hi volume oil pump and cross-drilled crank help with this.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

Yeah that's cool - someone else might punch out an answer though - anyone know anything about CDT heads etc??
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

You dont have to run a copper headgasket with o-rings. Gasket technology has come along way since people started o-ringing and using copper gaskets in race cars a long time ago. A good ACL gasket will do just as well, and they are less likely to have sealing problems (not around pots but water and oil galleries). O-ringing just helps hold compression in the cylinder, essential for copper gaskets as they cant "crush" like a conventional gasket can and create the seal.

Loz
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

There is a wonderfull product on the market called:

3Bond

it is a Japanese motor bike gasket sealant, cannot read packaging as it is all in Japanese, Awsome for copper headgaskets, you can buy it a coventrys, and other good auto stores,

Cheers
Eggy
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: WHAT makes a exelent bottom end? Reply with quote

And the ne you want is ThreeBond 1207B. Its about $40 for a tube. It would be the best stuff though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: