HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

weber 32/36 conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: weber 32/36 conversion Reply with quote

I have recently installed a 32/36 from a 2L ford using a redline offset secondary adapter. I have not altered inlet manifold. Problem is a huge flat spot on acceleration. Accelerator pump diaphram has been replaced and pump nozzle increased from 0.5mm (50) to 0.8 & 1.0 mm.
Any Jetting info for a stock 1600.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

www.giant.net.au/users/wight
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

Ben is more about manifold mods, not carby jetting. My old hack see's plenty of dirt track work and after 2 years as type 1 victor, I thought an upgrade to type 2 with the weber+extractors+exhaust+coupe would be the go. Unfortunately CAMS Type 2 regs dont allow manifold mods. Will change work without mods, or does remaining bridge in manifold cause excessive turbulence.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

Steven - I'm not a mech but I do understand the concept, more air and fuel = better performance, more space with less obstructions to ramming that shit in there the better too. You would have to get the right redline adaptor plate if you didn't drill the middle out (if Yonnee hadn't been pissed off he'd pop up with the part number shortly after this post!?!). Changes would still work, but if doing one bit you might as well hack the guts out to clear things up and do a decent job. Unless of course you're restricted by CAMS - BTW, where are you seeing all this dirt racing? And why does CAMS let you modify or change carbies but not the manifold??

Sad sorry for long post. Jet sizes from memory 160 primary, 150 or 140 secondary, best way is to run it on a dyno and try what suits your setup best. Good luck, Ben will be through soon and hopefully he will clean up any of my mistakes.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

Sounds like your acc pump jetting might be too much. the 0.5mm discharge nozzle? Was it originally drilled on both sides? If so, then I would say you have always been delivering too much fuel on acceleration. What happens if you gently ease on the accelerator?

I am saying that you probably are squirting too much because a 0.8 nozzle should be over the top. I take it you have a 1600? Well the 0.5 is standard on 2 litres, which should be more than ample for a 1600.

Factory main jetting is 140 for both, and 175 and 165 for primary and secondary air corrector jets respectively. (I think), they are within 0.1mm anyway. If your jets are a crazy alteration of this, then that may be you problem.

Ben Wight
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

Thanks, good conv info site. It runs hard if you slowly ease out of the the idle circuit, or run with idle at 2000rpm. Punching the primaries only from idle, it will backfire and carry on, punching to the floor and the lights go out. Becomes a bit embarrissing/annoying in motokhanas and khanacrosses when you pop the handbrake and mash the gas only to have the lights go out.
Original jetting was 140/125, air 165/160, idle 155/150 with the 50 pump jet.
I purchased a spare 50 pump jet so I could redrill original, replaced pump diaghram, pump return valve increased primary to 150,155,160,165etc.
Also found Nikki jets are same thread. So 160,165,118 jets.
Any other thoughts, have you thrown a carb on without cutting inlet. Maybe my carb is destined for the scrap. The Nikki's back on for the moment so the car can return to the track and help tame those unsociable needs to mash the gas and travel sideways at full song.
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Ben's site out Reply with quote

Momofan,
check out CAMS.com.au for a list of local clubs.
Westlakes in Newcastle WAC.org.au run 1 to 2 meets a month

A type 1 is stock standard registered. To race add 2kg fire extinguisher capacity, a helmet, 2 bonnet tie downs(rope for budget minded).
Type 2 unregisterd vehicle, allowed changes to carb, exhaust, rim widths. $20 bombs also appear here
Type 3,4,5 are out of my budget but twin webers, turbos, different motors all fit here somewhere

Club membership and cams type 2licence (together $100 to 150 per year)
Motokhana $30 to $45 a day (1st, 2nd and revervse navagation around flags)
Khanacross $60 to $80 (1st,2nd accasionally 3rd, reverse if you f*** up)
Dirt speed $90 to $140 (1st,2nd,3rd)

The ultimate Rallysprints & Rallys require 6 point cages and upgrade to your licence.

Tar events were costing $60 (amaroo) to $120(eastern creek) for lap sprints when I was in Sydney 7 years ago. I can confirm a stock TD on old flogged out 205/13 Yoko's, will go off the speedo (180 in a early gem) down the straight and drift through turn 1, foot flat bouncing across the drag line. Yeee-Haaa

A bit long winded, sorry, but I love it.After restoring my Tar speed hack from Sydney, it became too nice to race so sold her for $4500.00, bought another ugly TD for $800 with 10mths rego, took her to 2 type 1 championships whilst still driving to work every day. She was getting very tired, but after all the tree and rock repairs, looked good. Recooped my original outlay and bought a coupe and this bloody weber .
Other guys goto the auction, get a $20 dollar bomb and flog it till it dies..

Happy
hooning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: