HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

camshaft bolt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

ei guys i cant get the camshaft bolt off is there a special way clockwise? coz the more i try the more i will thread .
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

The cam bolt is just a normal threaded bolt, so counter-clockwise to undo. You need to stop the crank from moving, the easiest way is to put a big breaker bar on the crank pulley...

As for getting the damn cam bolt to loosen off, just remember the more leverage is better than more force.
BlueTG
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

Though don't have experience with cam bolt, i did have a problem 2 weeks ago with a bolt at the rear of a 2ltr i could not get of, ended up rounding it, so more blood sweat and tears were in order grabbed the grinder and made a new head on the bolt, still couldnt get the bugger undone, took it to a mate who owns a bolt company in Bayside Brisbane and he tapped three times a hammer then bob's your auntie came undone with his fingers, damn i really cursed him for that, give it a try before you suffer the same as i did.
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

wat about the head bolts the alenkey ones do they have a special way?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

There are no left-hand threaded bolts in a gemini motor, or on the car for that matter.

For the cam bolt, stick your biggest screwdriver throught the left hand side of your sprocket. Place a rag under it so as not to damage the rocker cover gasket surface of the head. Undo the bolt till the screwdriver stops the sprocket turning. "Crack" the bolt, remove the screwdriver, and out she comes. But don't forget to release your timing chain tensioner first!! Softly, softly.... they're plastic!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

Well not to get technical but more leverage equals more force.
But I do get what you mean, Better to put a bigger lever on it and use the same force than use the same size lever with more force.
NUT161
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

hey i had this problem a couple of weeks ago, just put the tool required on and get a good length of pipe that will fit over youre tool, pull at the pipe end and you will be surprised how easy they will undo.
Steven
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

normal thred, so anti clockwise to undo. Use a 1/2" socket extension bar through holes in sprocket to stop turning, and a short extension bar + 17 mm socket + breaker bar (or improvise.
For head studs, invest in a 10mm allen key socket for your 1/2" inch drive, make sure shaft lenght of is over 1 1/2" else your socket wil foul on rear rockers. You will need the allen socket to torque down head (assume you have a torque wrench)
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

find someone you know with a compressor and and air wratchet or rattle gun. That will do it. Other wise as everyone else says, use a big lever on it.
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: camshaft bolt Reply with quote

You read my mind...
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sluggo Reply with quote

Actually, my mind was saying something a little different... more along the lines of "If you don't know which way the bolts come undone, are you perhaps not the right person to be removing the head?"
egge
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sluggo Reply with quote

alright u think ur a sik kunt go undo a bolt if ur that good come n try weak kunt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: