HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Hones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Hones Reply with quote

Just to get everything you've done in one post so we know what you have and haven't done, could you list it all again?
here's some points to tick off against (not incl head, radiator/cap, pump and thermostat -which i think u said aren't the problems)
First - did you get a proper temperature reading? so u know what temp the water is. what is it?

have you tried not topping it up after it overflows? Does it maintain a constant level just above the core or keep going down if u don't top it up.

Did u check for brake bind or clutch slip?

Did you squeeze the bottom rad hose when it is hot? If it collapses easily, perhaps the water pump vacuum at rpm is collapsing it and restricting flow

Is the timing OK?

Are you running coolant or plain water?

is your fan belt tight?

Does your heater work?
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

Havent topped up a few times, left bone dry whe i return.

Pretty close to good temp reading, new guage and new earth (or stronger earth)

squeezed everything possible

timing is perfect

water for now coz i dont wanna spend 30 bucks on coolant that lasts about 2 days before it returns the the roads surface.

fan belt is tighther then a nuns cunt

no heater to speak of.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

"Pretty close to good temp reading, new guage and new earth (or stronger earth)"

So its not overheating? But its blowing the coolant?
Does it start spraying water from the radiator with the cap off straight from cold? or only after it warms up and the thermostat opens?
ps I'm not really here hehe
Biggest of Plans
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

Well i gave it a better earth using thick as wire from -ve terminal to bolt it behind the radiator. So u could say its better earth.
Its overheating when i go 100 or in an 80 zone.
not when its cold, but after a 5 or 10 minute drive going up hard hills or at high revs (only a 4spd) and im too scared to make the car warm up when the top is bone dry so i dunno.

ps. yes u are really there.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

You put a warped head back on or stuffed up when tensioning the head down, but wait - have you retensioned the head since driving around for a while?? cause it sounds like you've got a blown head gasket and the water is pissing out your exhaust like mine was, then it's overheating and what remaining water is in the radiator is getting blown out as steam making it look like water was coming out the overflow pipe. Dunno - can't really remember all the background info on this one but am I sounding like that could be right??
Biggest of Plans
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

nah its not warped, it was checked over etc...
we used torche wrench to do it all up.
all nice and pretty like. so can everyone understand why im so frustrated.

we've done everything to thebook and then some...
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

Just fuckin bad luck - you might have got a dud head gasket or could you have put it in upside down? Is that possible?? Something says that it has to be that cause you said there was no sign of water on or near the car hey?? And you said you fill it up - come back overnight and it's low/empty again - these are the same simptoms I had when my head gasket blew on #2 between the water jacket and the outlet valve - water was going straight out the exhaust throught the valve, oil stayed clean, just used water and overheated. Had heaps of go too and wasn't noisy other than being a bit rattlier when she got real hot! Then I cooked it! I reckon it's the head gasket....
Biggest of Plans
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hones Reply with quote

well thats what i keep saying but people say it aint.
so fuck me if i know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: