HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

G'day again peoples, my Tx died the other night and after doing a search on here i narrowed it down to either of two probs. It's doing the old 'fuel pump cuts out after starting' routine. Now that i know what i'm up against, i want to go ahead with the SIV RX-7 alternator upgrade from the workshop. But my head scratcher is this... I recently met another Gem owner that bought a TC with an upgraded alternator. He was told by the original owner that after upgrading the alternator, he kept on constantly blowing fuses. He couldn't tell me why coz he didn't understand what the guy was explaining to him. What would be the reason for fuses dieing after this mod? Obviously the last thing i want to happen after an upgrade is to blow all my fuses every second day.
Has anyone come across this problem, i didn't find any mention of it after my search. If someone out there can enlighten me on this on - please do. I'd like to learn something new and avoid such a pesky annoyance.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

im just taking a stab in the dark here, not having much experience with alternators, but maybe the rx7 altinator had a higher ampige out put which meant the fuses that were being replaced were to small, ie gem alt needs say 15amp fuse and the rx7 needs a 30amp fuse, but maybe the gem wiring can only hold up to 20amps, so he didnt pout in a bigger fuse for fear of it shorting or something? or maybe he was getting a small surge everynow and then and he only replaced the fuses with quick blow instead of long blow fuses.
im gunna shut up now cause im confusing myself with my lack of knowledge of this subject.
anyway a confusing answer is better than none
cheers
kizza
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

"anyway a confusing answer is better than none"

Are you really sure about that? Really?
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

ok smart ass u do better, u seem to be a bit of a wise old tree around these neck of the woods, so come on, spit it out, tell him what the problem is and how to fix it
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

Why dont you try the local Geniuses Gene or Gemini Driving Yobbo. lets face it, everyone trusts their advice.

baaaaaaaa hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

I can see what you're getting Kizza at as it sounds kinda logical, as the rotor alternator has almost double the amp output of the standard Gem unit. But i dont understand how i came across a few posts from people that had upgraded to a more powerful unit, and yet they had no mention of blowing their fuses - they just bolted a more powerful alternator on and that was the end of their problems, (and the beginning of a monster I.C.E install). It's still pretty baffling as to why this bloke kept blowing his fuses straight after he upgraded.
Any other takers on this querey ? There's gotta be a reasonable scientific explanation on this one. What about a couple of the 'Big Guns' here ie: Ben Wight, Yonnee, etc. Maybe you guys may have the answer i'm looking for.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

hey jasyn
i think i may be able to help although i havent done anything liek this, but from what i can remeber of physics, the amount of amps the alternator puts out shouldnt matter, cos all it does is charge the battery, and the power only goes thru the fuses when the thing (say headlights for emaple) needs it, and then they will only take what they need, so it shouldnt overload the fuses i dont think, thats how i see it anyways, migth wanna ask someone whos totally sure on this.
hope i havent lead ya astray
catchya
wazza
tuff187
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

When i put my stereo in my car i had to upgrade my alternator... so i took my car to the auto-elec and he did abit of research and he found 1 that will mount up to the original bracket and its off a Honda (65amp due to crappy Gemini 40amp)... I'm not sure what model but ill try to find out...
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

Thnx, i was going to fit the RX-7 unit but if the Honda unit is cheaper then i may consider using it instead.
Jasyn...
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

jasyn... i've been having heaps of problems with my alternator lately ,my gem still aint running,
ok if it's blowing the fuses after upgrade then... as someone else said the power only gets sent when it needs it for headlight's /stereo etc... it was probably the regulator(thing that controls where power is sent), gems have a mechanical one that is crap, i burnt mine out and got a newer one...solid state one that is heaps better about one third of the size. so if the guy put a dif alternator on and didn't change the regulator then that's probably y the fuses are blowing... newer alternators have the regulator built in... and if the wiring can't handle more amps then don't do it, i'd rather blow fuses every day than have a burnt out car! (almost happened to me 2 weeks ago with my bloody stereo-i'm going to put a fuse on it now!)

thats what i learned from my troubles!
Adrian
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

I was just starting to think the same thing after speaking to the auto sparky that has my car now. He told me in not as many words that a simple alernator upgrade shouldn't blow fuses - it would be caused by something else. He wasn't too helpful, he seemed like the type of bloke that always charges for professional advice.
I've just bought the RX-7 alternator (it was $80 bucks compared to a $150 quote on a reco on the original) and it's rated at 65 amps and has an in-built regulator. But i'm still a little hazy on whether or not it will burn my wiring out, it sounds kinda like the alternator will be using both the internal and Gemini regulator???
What's the go there? Do i need to disable the internal one and switch the Gem one to a solid state item?
I really need to get hold of another Gregory's manual (mine got stolen a while back) so i can read about this stuff and see pics of it.
Thnx 4 any other input you can give me, it's starting to make more sense now.
Cheers,
Jasyn
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator upgrade = trouble with fuses??? Reply with quote

gregorys doesn't have much at all on auto elec stuff...it just says refer to a reputable auto electrician! where did u get the rx7 alt for 80 bucks???!?!?!!?!?! i want one!!! u only need one regulator , i'd use the gemi solid state one as it's meant for gemi wiring and won't allow to much current or amperage to go through
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: