HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

serious opinions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: serious opinions Reply with quote

As some people know my car wont stop overheating and i dunno what the hell to do.

Ok, we got a couple mechanics that said its the head. i cant really afford another mechanic to tell me complete bullshit...

So anyways i got a new motor and put it in and it overheated. and still does.

1. Did timing to perfection - still overheated

2. I got a newish water pump (off old motor which i know is good-replaced not long ago) - it still overheated.

3. Replaced most hoses going to radiator and checked the one at the back of the motor which is fine. - it still overheated.

4. Checked thermostat in boiling water and its fine. and it has now been taken out - it still overheated.

5. Bought a new high pressure radiator cap. Coz its new, nothing to do with that im guessing coz it lets boiling hot water out - still overheated.

6. Bought a second hand radiator, took top tank out with help from father from heating it up and etc. When it was out, we took it down to get cleaned out by a radiator place.so im guessing its fine. - it still overheated.

7. Bought a head from mooch and took it down to get the valves and everything put back in it and they checked it over and it was good to work with. We took the other head off and it was corroded as hell so we thought the head was it. So put head on with no hassles to speak of - it still overheated.

It only really gets real bad if the revs go over 3 grand constantly (for example sitting on 80 km/hr in fourth gear.
Ok before anyone says get a new temp. sender, thats not it coz water drips out the overflow.

The alternator is only charging at 12.4 and should apparently be charging at around 13 or something.
Could that be the problem? i doubt it.
Maybe just do the radiator thing again?

HELP ME!GOD KNOWS! so if u are god, please let me know.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

ok i suggest u go and spend $35 and get a mechanical temp guage and plug it in the electrical sender unit whole and idle it up and see wat temp it hits.

I think u have a fukled sender unit or who ever did your motor and manifold replaced the temp sender unit with the wrong resistance
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

OK, if i was you, i would leave my car at home, go out and get drunk as fuck, then pick up a few chicks, have a bit of the good ol' intercourse, then i would taxi it back to my house where i would sleep, then i would wake up and think about my car, then i would call daniel and say its fucked and tell him to fix it...

SERIOUSLY, flush the block, flush the radiator properly... OR you could save some money and take the whole coar to gemispares and say "fix it" thats all the advice i can give for now...

goodluck
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

ok i had the same type of problem,mine was the bottom hose,up where it goes near the block,when i give it some rev,s the hose was sucking togeather,but i could only tell by putting my hand up there,while someone gave it a rev....
mine was fine around town but on the open road hotter than hell....might help anyway..
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

How do you know it is overheating, what is the temperature?

Are you trusting a twenty year old gauge and sender?

You said water was dripping out of the overflow hose, well most radiators will do this when filled to maximum capacity. Have you given it time (several days) for the water level to remain consistent? Unless you have an overflow tank and return style cap, you will need to do this.

If you actually do find that you are overheating, which I dont really think you know for sure, (try sticking a thermometer in the radiator to measure temp when you think it is overheating), then I would say in your case, you might be running too much timing advance.

What is your static timing? Have you had the dizzy modified for more advance, maybe it is broken and advancing too far at 3000rpm and detonating, causing the overheating.

If you have had you radiator flushed, then it could be you manfold isn't flowing enough water due to blockage, did you clean that out too?

Ben Wight
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

This may sound a bit dumb since I know nothing of mechanics but have you checked the fan behind the radiator ? If this isn't providing enough airflow you will overheat quite easily.

The fan on the g200 twin cam doesnt fit in the engine bay (on mine at least) so I have a electric fan blowing through the front to keep the temp down.
Smoking TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

well sorry i'm not god but may i suggest flogging the car off to some blind kid and getting another one. or just replace the temp. sensor as mentioned before
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

OVERFLOWS FROM OVERFLOW FROM RADIATOR - unit isnt screwed.
i gave it better earth
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Smoking TE Reply with quote

are you called smoking te because:

a. your car blows lots of blue smoke
b. you like to smoke in your car
c. you can do burnouts
d. you accidently set it on fire
or e. your car overheats too???
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Look Reply with quote

Overheating is usually dead easy to find and fix.

Everyone has given you every possible answer to your problem. You just arent listening, or when you are doing the checks you aint doin em properly.

Ill give you one last tip - forgert about the guage for a minute. when it overheats as you say, put a big rag over the radiator cap, an unscrew it slowly. MAKE SURE THE RAG COVERS IT COMPLETELY , UNLESS YOU'll GET SCALDED. IS ther a bunch of hissing and steam? Do you smell hot rubber?
IF yes, then tis overheating.
If not, your temp guage is roo*ed. (Wouldnt surprise me if its a TF/G ).
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Look Reply with quote

I can hear the thing hissing and im not gonna put a big rag over it as i can see the water bubbling from the cap.
and yeh i smell a weird smell.
SO YEH FOR THE LAST TIME, ITS OVERHEATING
godamn i wish i knew! nigel not fair.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Look Reply with quote

now how old is the engine? and wat oil do u use?
when was the last time u did an oil change. i remebernot doing one for a awhile and my car started to boil. Also have u ever pulled the sump off and checked the oil pump and the torque on the bearings to tight main bearings can cuase it too. did it overheat when u bought the car?

And also how tight is your fan belt? can u hear a slipping noise?

Do u have the right wire connected up to the temp guage?

hones talk to me thru icq or MSN.
Rez_Man
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: serious opinions Reply with quote

So I was talking to god the other day and he reckons, put your car up for sale and hopefully when someone test drives it they will only drive it long enough for gauge to reach say 1/4 to 1/2 so they will be like hmm thats ok. Gte money for it then buy another.

P.s. couldnt get ya that tail light dude. Car is at U-Pull-It

-Rez_man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: