HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Coasting Enricher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MADTRK

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Coasting Enricher Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just a quick question with regards to a problem i am having with my TD wagon.

I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and conducted a service on it today.

Which i took the air cleaner assembly off, i noticed that the wires leading to the coasting enricher had been disconnected and were sitting there.

I reconnected them while the engine was running and the revs jumped up considerably, the engine was quite warm, and it sounded like the automatic choke had kicked in.

I got in the car and put the clutch in and the revs went back to normal, release the clutch and the revs jump up again, put the clutch in and all normal.

So with the wires connected, i adjusted the idle down a bit, so that it was idling slower, got into the car and put the clutch in and the car stalled.

I have just disconnected the wires for the time being and brought the cars idle back.

Has anyone come across this problem before? If so how did they rectify it?

Now, i know that it probably wont be bad for it to leave it the way it is, but i am quite fussy and like things to be working properly.

Extra information on the car is that it is a 1.6, stock standard with a four speed in it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards Harley.
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coasting enricher swich only works in 3rd and 4th gear , it doesnt need to be connected , car will run without it , all you need is to have the idle stop solenoid hooked up and working. Auto choke doesnt even have to be connected , as when car is cold , ignition on and simple tap the the throttle will activate it , and it will turn off when car is driving/at temperature
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like something is connected wrongly though if the clutch activation is altering the idle speed. Normally the clutch switch only works in conjunction with the 3rd/4th gear switch and the accelerator switch. All three need to be in the right state for the solenoid to activate.

It is possible you may have incorrect switches in some position/s. There are two different switches that look very similar and they can be accidently put in the wrong spot. One is N/O and the other is N/C. If you have them mixed up the solenoid may be active when it isn't supposed to be. The accelerator and clutch use the same N/O switches and the brake pedal uses a N/C switch. Check your switches with a multimeter.

The circuit should only be completed when the gear shift is in 3rd or 4th gear, the accelerator pedal is released, and the clutch pedal is released. At any other time the circuit is broken.

What it does is allows a small amount of extra petrol to meter into the mixture while coasting in 3rd or 4th gear so it stops the engine backfiring and popping due to it leaning out. It's really easy to pick a car with tampered coasting richer system because it cackles and pops when decelerating in 3rd or 4th gears.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
MADTRK

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Poida,

Thank you for the information, just a quick question though, as i have only ever used a Multimeter for basic checking, and i am sure this is basic but have just never done it before.

What setting should i have the multimeter on and what reading should i be looking for.

Thanking you in advance.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are checking for a voltage signal use the multimeter in DC Volts mode. If you are checking between two pointsd of a circuit for continuity you can use the OHM mode. That checks the resistance between two pionts in a circuit. In that mode you don't apply power to the tested circuit.

So if you were checking to see a clutch pedal switch was operating correctly for example, you unplug the switch and attach a probe to each wire on the switch. With the meter set on OHMS watch the reading as you pressed the pedal in and out. It should show a closed circuit (power flows through the switch) when the pedal is released and an open circuit (no power flows through the switch) when the pedal is pressed in a short distance (10mm or so). Hope that explains it for you.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: