HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

big 2 days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: big 2 days Reply with quote

well i just finished pulling 2 engines out, swapping gearboxes, starters, alternators, inlet manifolds, swap carby for a weber, and then put new engine back in.
fill fluids up, went for a strap only to find i had an airlock and possible suspect thermostat.
didnt kill the engine but any overheat isnt good.
i guess ill be working an a gem again tomorrow. yay Rolling Eyes
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it helps if you leave the back heater hose disconnected when filling the block till the water runs freely out that pipe. Once you get a steady flow of water (no air bubbles) flowing out that heater line, attach the heater pipe and tighten the clamp while the water is gently running into the radiator.

Although most after market thermostats don't have them, I always drill a small hole 1.5-2.0mm in the base part of the thermostat and put a tiny split pin in it. Just enough to prevent air locks but not enough to allow large amounts of water to pass while the engine heats up from dead cold.

Other than that I always fit a new thermostat in a rebuilt or replacement engine and I let it warm up with the cap loose. If you have any airlock ot will blow water out the radiator filler when the thermostat opens. That is because the water rushes to fill the head and it gets instantly heated on the hot metal above the combustion area causing a sudden production of steam which blows the water out.

Never seal the cooling system and drive off till you are sure the heated water is flowing by seeing it in the top tank through the filler hole.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually do, i was just impatient, the thermostat was only 3 months old but im going to get a new one today anyway.
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what motors and stuff wewre you swapping???? the coupe one into the wagon i suspect?
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coupe 1800 into belindas td, and her 1600 back into the coupe. but i didnt quite get the 1600 back in the coupe.
i ended up putting a 71c thermostat and a thermofan as a backup.
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the verdict was??? is it all sweet now?
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah all good, will need a new radiator one day as without the thermo going it gets hot still, carby is booked in for thursday to be jetted properly using a gas analizer.
they said between $50 and $80. it runs sweet now but the new plugs are pretty black already so its better to just get it done and save money on fuel.
had another blowout with the auto cooler line. turns out the auto hose that was on there was a bit old and dodgy so i just got a meter of line for $5 and its rated to 60 bar (over 1000psi) also had to buy efi hose clamps which are different to the normal hose clamps.
goes a little too well for her now i think. planted the foot coming out of carbitz and it stepped out for about 5 meters before it kicked to the next gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: