HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Petrol to Diesel conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDWAGN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Petrol to Diesel conversion Reply with quote

I have just completed a petrol to diesel conversion. I know you might all think I am crazy but anyway if anyone wants to know how to tackle it etc let me know.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol to Diesel conversion Reply with quote

You and Poida will be a good team, he loves the deisel gem's. May as well write it up how to do it anyways, you might get lucky and get it turned into workshop article, heh
luhrsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arent the diesel gems realy economical to run, compared to the petrol. but you can't have everything there pretty guttless from what ive heard
bradlze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luhrsy wrote:
arent the diesel gems realy economical to run, compared to the petrol. but you can't have everything there pretty guttless from what ive heard

there are always turbo diesal
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diesel engine cars were able to run for about 950-1000km to a full tank on the highway.

I have a few standard N/A 1.8L diesel Gemini engines which don't have quite the same horsepower as the petrol engines do but they have awesome torque which is where they make up for it. They pull hard up hills in low gear at low revs where a petrol engine would need to be kept singing to get the same results. They really do make a difference in slippery mud or steep hills in off road conditions. They keep traction on the driving surface because the tyres don't spin and slip.

Some logging tracks I used to travel to a west coast beach area on a trip I did in Tassie. It didn't slide all over the place because it was more or less just idling along. I didn't get bogged at all in the whole 17km drive each direction! I have to admit some sections of the track looked pretty undrivable but they were quite firm on closer inspection. I did a lot of stopping on firm hill crests to walk ahead and inspect the road before I drove into it.

I also have an imported 2.2L diesel just a bit more horsepower than the Gemini petrol engine and a couple of 2.0L turbo diesel that punch out about 80-90kw and a torque curve like you wouldn't believe. Really gutsy little engines that give excellent economy and run as well as a smaller engined EFI petrol car.

Finding the 4F series diesel engines from importers is near impossible these days. No one can find them at wreckers in Japan anymore.

Arrow If anyone wants a Gemini diesel car I have one which I'm selling. It's body is rusted (pretty badly) but the rest of the drive train is in good enough condition to be swapped into another shell. You can find diesel Gemini shells or you could convert a petrol shell with all the components in this car.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: