HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Windscreen removale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Windscreen removale Reply with quote

""Re: Windscreens OK --(Adam Gibson)
posted by old forum on Fri Jun 15 05:19:13 2001, ip logged

My method is as follows, get yourself some rope, I think a good size is about 4mm or 5mm, it is thin enough to be easy to push through without being too think so it cuts the rubber.

Remove the locking strip

Starting with the rope on the inside of the car, push a little bit of it through in one of the corners, we alwas did this by taping the rope to a small screwdriver... The holding the rope at an extreme angle to the rubber on each side of the glass (aka almost flat against the glass) get the person on the outside to pull the rope out, while he is doing this, work your way around the windscreen and in theory the rope should pull the rubber across the mounting surface, worked for me, but it takes practice... We started doing it this way after we removed gerty's rear windscreen in 40000 little pieces, I STILL PULL GLASS OUT OF THE CAR each and every time I vacuum it... never again. ""

Could someone please explain this a little more. Does this mean you push the string through from the inside the pull it on the outside close to the window? How will this remove the seal?
Any other ways. I was just going to wedge the outside seal back with a few screwdirvers and push with my feet but i fear i will break the window. I have to do both and have been quoted $110 to take them out, then come back about a week (after ive fixed rust) and reseal them, should i take this option. (I think it a bit much 4 taking out some bloody windows)Anyone in perth wanna give a hand if ya done it before

cheers
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Windscreen removale Reply with quote

Your best bet is to watch someone do it, its a bit hard to explain. I actually paid for a windscreen guy to come out the first time I had to do it- I watched him, and never needed one again. the money it cost me, was well worth it, the number of windscreens I have replaced, .
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Windscreen removale Reply with quote

Evening Bisirko. This is a copy paste of a post i made earlier today....

'I did my rear window today. No one aorudn to help so i did it myself. Took every bit of 2 minutes. Pull the chrome strip out, get a knife and push it right through behind the seal until it pops through the other side. Start and one corner and work around until it 'cracks' the seal. Then at one corner, put hte knife in again, and reach in with your other hand and push out as you gently 'pry' it out with the knife. Once youve got one corner it you can just peel the whole screen out....carefully. With 2 people tho, the foot method is the best in my opinion, one can put pressure on with their feet, the other can work teh knife and hold the glass.'

I say this in all honesty, not to show off or bost or anything similar...it really isnt that difficult to do. Just try this yourself, just take it slow and dont rush you may be surprised. If you are still uncomfortable you may beneft from watching someone do it. But i suggest you try it yourself with the help of a mate and see how yous go.
SOrry for the length factor, hope it helps you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: