HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Stereo in RB Gemini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squigymoo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

Hey ppl,
I'm wanting to put a worth while stero into my Gemini SL/E (RB) but the dash only has 4" holes and the doors are too thin to put anything in them. The parcel shelf only has 4" holes but i'm sure i can handle cutting that. Although i heard that some bitchy insurance ppl call that part of the structure of the car hence inurance goes through the roof once its been modified.

Meh, but comprehensive insurance is out of my grasp anyway.

So if anyone has some info on fitting a RB Gemini or even some shots of the setup they have put in there's it would be awesome.

(I would like to put 6x9's in the back and 6" components in the front)

Thanks

Camden Young
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

yeah mate ive made do with the 4 inch holes in the dash &chucked some jbl's in there-what model rb is it?mine had 6 inch holes in the parcel shelf which got widened slightly (!) to fit a set of 7x10's in-ive seen a set of splits in the doors of an rb-theyll go in fairly easily provided you have a set of pods to wack them in,a little bit of chopping oh yeah and as long as you have a sl or sl/x model (sl/es have different door trims and to chuck splits in them youd have to rip them up completely)
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

i forgot to mention-its a fucken squezze to fit the 7x10's on the rear shelf-they fit into a 6x9 hole so itll be a squeeze either way!
squigymoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

Yeah mate i have an '85 SL/E so door isnt an option. I definitly only have 4" holes in my parcel shelf so I spose i'm jsut gunna have to cut a hole, because i really want 6x9's as there will be no punch comming from the 4"s in the front.

The Rb Gemini's seem desperate for power just to run (specially mine since its auto) Do you recon a system will be ok just off a sony head unit. Its 52x4 peak which i think is about 20-25RMS. I dont want to spend to much money but i dont want to deal with the crap sound that it currently has.
If it comes to it i might have to buy a an amplifier but once again i really dont want to spend the money.

Which model JBLS's have you put in? what do you think of its sound quality?

thanks

Camden Young
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

THE JBL'S ARE the gto series-not quite sure of model numbers though,theyre a pretty tidy speaker for $100 bucks-theyve got sweet as midrange.youll find that your head unit would be lucky to be putting out 15 watts RMS-have a look for any road tests done on it in hot 4's and such.i couldnt get shit out of a h/u & 4 speakers so i added 2 amps & 2 subs.if youre on a budget,grab a cheap 10" and a small sony amp (the 222w one)-its pretty good sound if youre strapped for cash.
squigymoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

You can't go any cheaper for 4" speakers without going to the level that the car already has.
I'm considering those GTO's or maybe even the Pioneer TS-E1075
I will buy an amp eventually. My H/U only has single RCA outputs so i probably want an amp that has speaker level inputs. The only ones that I can find at a reasonable price are a few Kenwoods. Anyone know of anything else below $500-600
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

grab yourself a trading post and have a ganders at the car parts for sale-places like doran pro audio & places like that have some bargains in there most weeks...
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo in RB Gemini Reply with quote

grab yourself a trading post and have a ganders at the car parts for sale-places like doran pro audio & places like that have some bargains in there most weeks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: