HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TF Jemini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

how hard is it to install 6x9 speakers into the parcel shelf of a TF sl Sedan? what is involved? can someone give me a few pointers?

thanks

and what about installing some 6" speakers in the front doors?
Michelle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

you'll have to cut some holes in the parcel tray or use big ugly spacers!! some people dont like holes but i prefer the speaker to sit down rather then half way to the roof Wink

The same thing goes with the speakers in the doors (cut holes) except some times they hit on the window when u wind it down it depends on how big the magnet thingy at the back is... so u may have to put spacers there too...
anyway hope that helps some

Shell
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

G'day,
I had to make some small wooden boxes for my Pioneer 6x9's because they wouldn't clear the petrol tank under the parcel shelf in my TE.

Making wooden boxes does help the bass response though, but I think it would look better down in the shelf... I understand a drop tank or something would move the petrol tank from behind the rear seat to under the car? If so, that would be sweet, and you could put the speakers in the shelf, and put a box under them too.

Robbo
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

what pioneer 6x9's do u have i have the pioneer 3 way 6x9's and they just fit in and clear the petrol tank by about 10mm
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got new 3-ways 220 watts....

It was my dad who actually said they wouldn't clear, it wouldn't surprise me if he was wrong though, he's been known to f**k up before.

Doesn't really bother me though, I get better bass with the wooden boxes (I have a friend with exactly the same speakers but not in a box). Plus I'll probably replace them with some better quality mids in the not too distant future (40WRMS just doens't cut it Wink

Robbo
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

40wrms is killer and will hurt your ears if they are efficient with the power they use and you feed them 40wrms and not friggin 10wrms from the back of a CD player
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: SEE THE WORK SHOP!! DO A SEARCH! Reply with quote

theres an articl in the work show on the exact subject, have a look see.
gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

i remember seeing in street machine years ago a tech article on a guy who had the fuel tank problem and relocated the fuel tank to the boot floor-i cant for the life of me remember much about it though!anyone with a street machine collection and a good memory help me?

also an unreliable source told me that 6x9's are better suited having a hole into the boot/hatch (ie flush mounted etc.)because they use the space in the boot as a crude sort of enclosure,so wouldnt you get better bass if they were mounted on the parcel shelf instead of in boxes?the only comparison i can make would be between my gem and my mates laser-his 6x9's are mounted in boxes but dont seem to make as much bass as mine (mounted in the rear shelf).cheers,86S/LE
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

Yeah I know... I run them from an amp... and they are good quality, but I'll replace them with some mids when I get a sub because 6x9's are overkill, and I can get some good 80WRMS 6.5" mids to run from my 100WRMS amp Smile

You have to admit, they'd be better

Robbo
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

6x9's are made oval shape for one reason and that is to fit into parcel shelves effectively

round speakers will give you better frequency response and depending on size, better bass. 6x9's can make good bass too because of their outrght size but sound quality will not quite be on par with circular speakers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: