HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Welded diffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Welded diffs Reply with quote

hey i was just wondering if there was any bad things about weldin a diff so it was lsd, my mate wants to weld it n do stuff to it i dont know much about diffs n he said after awhile he had to buy a new diff centre but its a cheap way of having a lsd, i just wanted to know if this is ok to do or is a stupid thing???
cheers
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

a welded or locked diff is a cheap way to make both wheels spin, the only problem is it is not a LIMITED slip diff, when u take corners one wheel needs to spin more/faster than the other, with locked diffs, theis cannot happen, which means either your axles twist/snap, your rims crack/twist, or (the fun 1) one wheel does a minny burnout.
locked diffs are not good for carparks ect and the fact is something will end up brakeing.
cheers
kizza
it would only cost ya about $15 to get it welded i would think, but a snaped axle means NO GO
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

they are all rite just wear tyres out and have been known to snap axles
and scrub real badly on the tyres like jumps round corners and will spin u round so easy
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

Ive only ever driven one lock diff car, an XC 302 with detroit locker. i was scared. The problem with lock diff is both wheels spin simultaniously. It is way too easy to lose traction, especially in the wet. The beauty of limited slip is you have one wheel not spinning, providing traction while the other is pushing you out of there, then the other wheel kicks in.
Dont get me wrong tho, with lock diff, you will be driftin round every roundabout!
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

there fun for about 2 months and then they just pis u off!
but yeah it will fuck axels and centers, wear ya tourque tube quicker and can fuck the gearbox shaft iv been told.
gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

how many cars at the last cruise had welded diffs? i seen about 4 with the inside wheel slipping when they turn Smile OH and dont 4get motoboy (its kinda illegal)
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

But theres no way of knowing, how many cops do you know that would take the time to jack the ass end of a car up and spin the wheel to see if its lock....id say none. And they sure as hell aint drivin my car to find out!
20PSI TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded diffs Reply with quote

you ever tried to creep away from the cops in car park with out it chirping its arse off? impossible unless you dont turn.

lockers are good fun one of my gems has one in it but thats my burnout/ drift gem. although it was my daily driver as well before it got defected.

it all really depends on how much you enjoy toasting tyres. If you are gonna run it with good expensive tyres on ya car then i wouldnt do it. I was goin through a set of stockies about every 1 or 2 weeks. when ya got a locker ya just cant help showing off.

josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: